Amy D. Paul
Amy joined Ropes & Gray’s Washington, D.C. office as an antitrust associate in 2011. As a member of the antitrust practice group, Amy primarily focuses on representing clients before the Department of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission and international and state antitrust enforcement authorities in antitrust merger reviews and civil antitrust investigations. She also provides strategic counseling and compliance advise to clients across a broad range of industries including health care, life sciences and consumer goods, among others.
Prior to attending law school, Amy worked as an honors paralegal specialist in the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented Access in its acquisition of Archive Systems Inc. and in its acquisition of document management assets from Iron Mountain in connection with its acquisition of Recall Holdings Limited.
- Represented Pfizer before the FTC in its $17 billion acquisition of Hospira.
- Represented Key Food Store Cooperative in its acquisition of assets from A&P Supermarket.
- Represented Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in its joint venture transaction before the FTC and State of Texas, combining Tenet Healthcare’s and United Surgical Partners International’s short-stay ambulatory surgery centers.
- Represented Berkshire Partners before the DOJ on Lightower Fiber Networks’ merger with Fibertech Networks.
- North Carolina Board of Dental Examiners v. FTC (Supreme Court) – assisted in drafting amicus brief filed at the Supreme Court of the United States on behalf of non-profit professional association regarding various antitrust issues including state-action immunity.
- Represented Becton Dickinson before the FTC in its acquisition of Safety Syringes, Inc.
- Represented Immucor, Inc. before the FTC and German Cartel Office in its acquisition of the LIFECODES business from Hologic, Inc.
- Represented Bain Capital before the FTC and European Commission in its sale of MEI Conlux to Crane Co.
- Represented Bain Capital in its sale of CRC Health Group to Acadia Healthcare Company.
Representative Health Care/Hospital Matters Include:
- Represented the Hospital of Saint Raphael in its combination with Yale-New Haven Hospital, which closed successfully after investigation by the FTC and State of Connecticut.
- Represented Eastern Maine Healthcare in its acquisition of Mercy Health System.
- Represented Western Connecticut Health Network in its affiliation with Norwalk Health Services.
- Represented Baystate Health in its acquisition of Wing Memorial Hospital from UMass Memorial Health Care.
- Represented Westchester Medical Center in its partnerships with HealthAlliance of the Hudson Valley and Bon Secours Charity Health System
- Represented Stanford Health Care in its acquisition of ValleyCare
- Editor, American Bar Association Pharmaceutical Industry Antitrust Handbook (2d ed.) (2018)
- Amy D. Paul, “State Action Immunity: The State of Play Since NC Dental,” The Chronicle (February 2016, Vol. 29 / No. 1)
- Jane E. Willis and Amy D. Paul, “North Carolina Dental: A Broad Impact on Antitrust Immunity,” CPI Antitrust Chronicle (April 2015)
- Jane E. Willis, Deborah L. Gersh and Amy D. Paul, “Takeaways from High Court’s NC Dental Opinion,” Appellate Law360 (February 2015)
- Contributor, 2014 Annual Review of Antitrust Law Developments
- Jane E. Willis and Amy D. Paul, “North Carolina Dental: The Supreme Court and State Action Antitrust Immunity,” CPI Antitrust Chronicle (April 2014)
- Amy D. Paul, “Rethinking Oil Spill Compensation Schemes: The Causation Inquiry,” 9 Loy. Mar. L.J. 137 (2011)
- Amy D. Paul, “The Complexities of Hospital Merger Review,” American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division (August 2011)
- Chair, American Bar Association – 65th Antitrust Spring Meeting, “Back to the Future: Hospital Merger Enforcement” (Washington, DC) (March 2017)