Anne Johnson Palmer
Anne, a partner in the San Francisco office, has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation matters, with a particular emphasis on class action litigation and corporate disputes. She has successfully guided clients through securities and consumer class actions, shareholder derivative claims, internal investigations and M&A and transaction-related litigation. In addition to representing public companies and private equity firms and their portfolio companies in such matters, Anne has advised a range of clients in complex commercial disputes involving unfair competition, consumer protection, antitrust, and business tort claims. Anne has handled cases in multidistrict litigation and in federal and state courts in California and across the country.
In 2018, Anne was recognized by the Daily Journal in its “Top 40 Under 40” list of leading California attorneys. Anne is a member of the Women’s Forum Steering Committee at Ropes & Gray, and serves as one of the Hiring Partners for the firm’s San Francisco office.
- Won dismissal for Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. of three separate securities fraud class actions in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of California and the District of Vermont. Negotiated a favorable resolution of a fourth securities fraud class action in the District of Vermont after discovery rebutted the plaintiffs’ core allegations.
- Represented Bain Capital as it formed a consortium of investors to acquire Toshiba Memory Corporation, in a transaction valued at $18 billion. As part of a cross-office and cross-disciplinary team, led diligence focused on joint venture partner’s attempts to enjoin Toshiba’s sale of its chip unit.
- Represented a Bay Area public company and its officers and directors in a putative securities class action. Dismissal of the case was recently upheld by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Representing vehicle manufacturer in ongoing securities class action litigation arising from its initial public offering. Lead defense counsel for the company as well as its directors and officers in parallel federal and state court actions and related derivative suits.
- Representing former public company officer in putative securities fraud class action in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California arising from a restatement of the company’s financials.
- Represented private equity firm in dispute with portfolio company founder that involved actions in both Michigan and Delaware. Negotiated successful early resolution for the client.
- Represented private equity firm in fiduciary duty litigation arising from a public company take-private. Defeated attempts in multiple jurisdictions to enjoin the transaction. Argued motion that resulted in dismissal of a post-closing action with prejudice.
- Represented footwear and apparel company in commercial licensing dispute in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Matter resolved after motion to dismiss the opposing party’s claims.
- Obtained settlement on behalf of Bay Area hedge fund client providing for full damages recovery in breach of contract suit arising from a limited partner’s disputed redemption from the fund.
- Served as lead trial counsel for a community hospital in breach of contract action brought by a physician arising out of peer review process.
- Represented The TJX Companies, Inc. in multiple class actions involving consumer protection claims based on the company’s collection of sales tax. Won dismissal with prejudice of action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Represented several firm clients, including Heartland Payment Systems, Inc., and The TJX Companies, Inc. in regulatory investigations and class action litigation resulting from data breaches.
- Quoted, “The CCPA Is Coming and So Are Data Breach Class Actions,” Legaltech News (November 8, 2019)
- Co-author, “Court provides guidance on applicability of transaction price as measure of fair value,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (March 27, 2019)
- Co-author, “Chancery Court applies MFW framework in private equity merger transaction,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (March 13, 2019)
- Featured, “Top Under 40: Anne Johnson Palmer,” The Daily Journal (June 20, 2018)
- Co-author, “Delaware Chancery Court confirms continued applicability of MFW standard,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (June 7, 2017)
- Co-author, “Delaware Chancery Court equates tender of shares to stockholder vote in review of board decisions,” International Law Office (October 12, 2016)
- Co-author, “Proposed amendments address appraisal arbitrage,” International Law Office (June 24, 2015)
- Co-author, “Chancery court declines to apply fee-shifting bylaw to former shareholder,” International Law Office (ILO) (June 3, 2015
- Co-author, “When it happens to you: How to navigate a payment card breach,” InsideCounsel (March 31, 2014)
- Co-author, "Certification of a National Class under State Law: Is Electronic Arts a Trend or an Outlier?" Bloomberg Law Reports: Class Actions (March 2011)
- Co-author, "Class Certification in the United States: The Rise of Rigor Among the Federal Circuits," Class Action Defence Quarterly (June 2009)
- Co-author, "Class Action Scrutiny: Will Massachusetts Courts Follow Emerging Federal Trends," Boston Bar Journal (March/April 2009)
- Co-author, "Cyber-Thieves Have You Targeted: Is Your Company Ready?" Mass High Tech (October 2008)
- Co-author, "FACTA Liability for Customer Receipts Remains a Threat," Chain Store Age: The News Magazine for Retail Executives (October 2008)
- Speaker, "When it Happens to You: How to Navigate a Payment Card Breach," West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (February 2014)
- Panelist, "Complex Issues and Emerging Trends in Class Action Litigation," Massachusetts Bar Association CLE Seminar (January 2011)
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2006; Order of the Coif, Executive Articles Editor, Boston College Law Review
- BA (Government, English), summa cum laude, Georgetown University, 2003