Anne Johnson Palmer
Anne, a partner in the San Francisco office, has extensive experience in a broad range of business and securities litigation matters. Anne focuses on the litigation of securities, derivative, and complex business disputes at the trial and appellate levels in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels. She has represented a diverse range of companies and organizations, including clients in the consumer products, technology, and private equity and asset management industries, in class action litigation, internal investigations, and M&A and shareholder derivative actions. Anne’s practice includes litigation and pre-litigation advice in disputes involving partnership, shareholder, and joint venture agreements, fiduciary obligations, executive compensation issues, intellectual property rights, defamation, and employment and fraud claims. Anne is a member of the Women’s Forum Steering Committee at Ropes & Gray.
- Won dismissal for Keurig Green Mountain, Inc. of three separate securities fraud class actions against the company in the U.S. District Courts for the Northern District of California and the District of Vermont, including a dismissal affirmed by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. Represented the company in connection with a SEC inquiry that was closed without any enforcement action taken. Currently serving as lead counsel in an ongoing securities fraud class action in the District of Vermont.
- Currently representing a Bay Area public company client in a putative securities class action. Won initial motion to dismiss the plaintiff’s consolidated complaint.
- Served as lead trial counsel for a community hospital in a breach of contract action brought by a physician arising out of peer review process. Currently representing a for-profit health system in antitrust litigation over peer review matters.
- Represented private equity firm in litigation brought by founder of portfolio company involving fiduciary duty claims asserted in multiple jurisdictions. Negotiated successful early resolution for the client.
- Represented private equity firm in M&A fiduciary duty litigation arising from a public company buyout. Defeated attempts in multiple jurisdictions to enjoin the transaction and argued motion that resulted in dismissal of a post-closing action with prejudice.
- Represented The TJX Companies, Inc. in multiple class actions involving consumer protection claims based on the company’s collection of sales tax. Recently won dismissal with prejudice of action filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York.
- Represented several firm clients, including Heartland Payment Systems, Inc., and The TJX Companies, Inc. in regulatory investigations and class action litigation resulting from computer network intrusions. Obtained favorable settlements of consumer class action claims for Heartland Payment Systems, Inc. and The TJX Companies, Inc.
- Co-author, “Delaware Chancery Court confirms continued applicability of MFW standard,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (June 7, 2017)
- Co-author, “Delaware Chancery Court equates tender of shares to stockholder vote in review of board decisions,” International Law Office (October 12, 2016)
- Co-author, “Proposed amendments address appraisal arbitrage,” International Law Office (June 24, 2015)
- Co-author, “Chancery court declines to apply fee-shifting bylaw to former shareholder,” International Law Office (ILO) (June 3, 2015
- Co-author, “When it happens to you: How to navigate a payment card breach,” InsideCounsel (March 31, 2014)
- Co-author, "Certification of a National Class under State Law: Is Electronic Arts a Trend or an Outlier?" Bloomberg Law Reports: Class Actions (March 2011)
- Co-author, "Class Certification in the United States: The Rise of Rigor Among the Federal Circuits," Class Action Defence Quarterly (June 2009)
- Co-author, "Class Action Scrutiny: Will Massachusetts Courts Follow Emerging Federal Trends," Boston Bar Journal (March/April 2009)
- Co-author, "Cyber-Thieves Have You Targeted: Is Your Company Ready?" Mass High Tech (October 2008)
- Co-author, "FACTA Liability for Customer Receipts Remains a Threat," Chain Store Age: The News Magazine for Retail Executives (October 2008)
- Speaker, "When it Happens to You: How to Navigate a Payment Card Breach," West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (February 2014)
- Panelist, "Complex Issues and Emerging Trends in Class Action Litigation," Massachusetts Bar Association CLE Seminar (January 2011)