Carla Andrea Pierini
Carla Andrea Pierini joined Ropes & Gray in 2016 and is an associate in the litigation department. During law school, Carla was a summer associate in the Miami office of a nationally recognized law firm, and a judicial intern in the U.S. District Court for the District of Puerto Rico. She was also an international writing fellow and president of her law school’s chapter of the Student Animal Legal Defense Fund. In 2015, Carla was named a law fellow by Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics and traveled to Germany and Poland for an intensive course of study on contemporary legal ethics. She is currently completing her thesis on the ethical challenges of bioterrorism preparedness for her Master of Arts in Medical Humanities & Bioethics from Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine.
Carla is a native Spanish speaker and has fluency in Portuguese, as well as limited working proficiency in French and Italian.
- Assisted investment fund with the due diligence investigation of a target in the pharmaceutical and life sciences sphere in Colombia: facilitated on-site interviews of executive and management teams, and formulated recommendations to mitigate money laundering, corruption, and trade compliance risks linked to target.
- Participated in a comprehensive compliance program assessment of one the largest not-for-profit home-and community-based health care organizations in the U.S.
- Prepared a detailed presentation on compliance and governance accountability that allowed a preeminent New York-based health care plan to avoid entering into a corporate integrity agreement with the New York State Office of the Medicaid Inspector General.
- Regularly conducts due diligence investigations of targets in high-risk markets in Latin America and the Caribbean for prominent multinational private equity firms.
- Represents clients pro bono in a variety of matters, including a Violence Against Women Act self-petition.
- Coordinated a panel discussion with industry leaders on the new compliance framework in Brazil for a special seminar on Lava Jato hosted by the Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce in New York City on November 15, 2017.
- Co-author, “Argentine Corporate Criminal Liability Law Opens the Door to New Enforcement Risks,” Securities Regulation Daily (November 20, 2017)
- “The Importance of Ethnographic Research in Protecting Research Subjects Overseas,” The Virginia Journal of Bioethics (August 2016)
- “The Ethical Obligations of Lawyers: Helping Foreign Clients to Invest in the United States,” Fellowships at Auschwitz for the Study of Professional Ethics Journal (2015)