Eliza Pan is an associate at Ropes & Gray practicing in the health care group. Eliza provides regulatory, transactional, and compliance advice to a range of health care clients, including hospitals and health systems; universities and academic medical centers; and medical device and health information technology companies.
During law school, Eliza was a notes and comments editor for the Yale Law Journal and a submissions editor for the Yale Journal on Regulation. As a member of the San Francisco Affirmative Litigation Project, Eliza worked on the San Francisco City Attorney’s team that helped the city and its co-plaintiff localities to reach a $305 million settlement with lead paint companies.
Prior to law school, Eliza worked at a global business research and advisory firm, where she developed best practice solutions for finance departments.
Health Care Regulatory and Compliance
- Advises clients on regulatory and compliance issues, including those related to fraud and abuse, and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement.
- Counseled a hospital and a health system on corporate practice of medicine and scope of practice restrictions in various states.
- Advised an investor on compliance with laws governing the licensure of hospitals and medical schools.
- Counseled a health system on compliance with federal and state rules and guidance arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Contributed to the drafting of various materials, including Anti-Kickback Statute legal opinions, a conflicts of interest disclosure memorandum, and health system policies and procedures.
Health Care Transactions
- Advises private equity firms and strategic investors on regulatory considerations for health care and life sciences transactions.
- Counseled a client in connection with change of ownership and license transfer requirements applicable to assisted living facilities.
Clinical Research and Testing
- Advises non-profit and for-profit clients on compliance issues, including those related to human subjects research, genetic testing, and data privacy.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advises clients on privacy matters, including the development of HIPAA business associate agreements, Notices of Privacy Practices, informed consent and HIPAA authorization procedures, data breach responses, and GDPR, HIPAA, and CCPA compliance training materials.
- Provided guidance to a health system regarding restrictions on the use and disclosure of certain types of employee information.
- Counseled a hospital on the scope and applicability of peer review privilege.
- Drafted by-law amendments for a non-profit organization.
- Advised non-profit organizations on matters relating to corporate governance, consent policies, liability waivers.
- Author, “Reimagining the Climate Migration Paradigm: Bridging Conceptual Barriers to Climate Migration Responses,” Environmental Law (forthcoming 2020)
- JD, Yale Law School, 2019; notes and comments editor, Yale Law Journal; submissions editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- AB (Social Studies), magna cum laude, Harvard University, 2015; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2019