Eliza Pan is an associate at Ropes & Gray practicing in the health care group. Eliza provides regulatory, transactional, and compliance advice to a range of health care clients, including hospitals and health systems; universities and academic medical centers; and medical device and health information technology companies.
During law school, Eliza was a notes and comments editor for the Yale Law Journal and a submissions editor for the Yale Journal on Regulation. As a member of the San Francisco Affirmative Litigation Project, Eliza worked on the San Francisco City Attorney’s team that helped the city and its co-plaintiff localities to reach a $305 million settlement with lead paint companies.
Prior to law school, Eliza worked at a global business research and advisory firm, where she developed best practice solutions for finance departments.
Health Care Regulatory and Compliance
- Advises clients on regulatory and compliance issues, including those related to fraud and abuse, and Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement.
- Counseled a hospital and a health system on corporate practice of medicine and scope of practice restrictions in various states.
- Advised an investor on compliance with laws governing the licensure of hospitals and medical schools.
- Assisted with the drafting of various contracts, including an affiliation agreement, a patient transfer agreement, an administrative services agreement, and a treatment planning services agreement, as well as Anti-Kickback Statute legal opinions and a conflicts of interest disclosure memo.
Health Care Transactions
- Advises private equity firms and strategic investors on regulatory considerations for health care and life sciences transactions.
- Counseled a client in connection with change of ownership and license transfer requirements applicable to assisted living facilities.
Clinical Research and Testing
- Advises non-profit and for-profit clients on compliance issues, including those related to human subjects research, genetic testing, and data privacy.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advised research organizations, a medical device manufacturer, and an EHR software vendor on privacy matters, including the development of HIPAA business associate agreements, data breach responses, and GDPR, HIPAA, and CCPA compliance training materials.
- Drafted by-law amendments for a non-profit organization.
- Advised non-profit organizations on matters relating to corporate governance, consent policies, liability waivers.
- Author, “Reimagining the Climate Migration Paradigm: Bridging Conceptual Barriers to Climate Migration Responses,” Environmental Law (forthcoming 2020)
- JD, Yale Law School, 2019; notes and comments editor, Yale Law Journal; submissions editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- AB (Social Studies), magna cum laude, Harvard University, 2015; Phi Beta Kappa