Eliza Pan is an associate at Ropes & Gray practicing in the health care group. Eliza provides regulatory, compliance, and transactional advice to a range of health care clients, including hospitals and health systems, dental service organizations, academic medical centers, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and health information technology companies, as well as private equity firms investing in the health care and life sciences industries.
During law school, Eliza was a notes and comments editor for the Yale Law Journal and a submissions editor for the Yale Journal on Regulation. As a member of the San Francisco Affirmative Litigation Project, Eliza worked on the San Francisco City Attorney’s team that helped the city and its co-plaintiff localities to reach a $305 million settlement with lead paint companies.
Prior to law school, Eliza worked at a global business research and advisory firm, where she developed best practice solutions for finance departments.
Health Care Regulatory and Compliance
- Advises clients on regulatory and compliance issues, including those related to fraud and abuse, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, health care provider and facility licensure, scope of practice, and corporate practice of medicine.
- Counseled health systems on compliance with federal and state rules and guidance arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Worked with health systems to develop internal policies and procedures.
- Routinely contributes to the drafting of legal opinions and a wide range of contracts, including affiliation agreements, care management agreements, facility use agreements, physician recruitment agreements, and services agreements.
Health Care Transactions
- Advises strategic investors and private equity firms on regulatory considerations for health care and life sciences transactions.
- Assisted health systems and assisted living facilities in ensuring compliance with change of ownership requirements in connection with transactions.
Clinical Research and Testing
- Advises non-profit and for-profit clients on compliance issues, including those related to human subjects research, genetic testing, and data privacy.
Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Advises clients on privacy matters, including the development of HIPAA business associate agreements, Notices of Privacy Practices, informed consent and HIPAA authorization procedures, data breach responses, and HIPAA, GDPR, and CCPA compliance training materials.
- Provided guidance to a health system regarding restrictions on the use and disclosure of certain types of employee information.
- Counseled a health system on the scope and applicability of peer review privilege.
- Drafted by-law amendments for a non-profit organization.
- Advised non-profit organizations on matters relating to corporate governance, consent policies, and liability waivers.
- Author, “Reimagining the Climate Migration Paradigm: Bridging Conceptual Barriers to Climate Migration Responses,” 50 Environmental Law 1173 (2020).
- JD, Yale Law School, 2019; notes and comments editor, Yale Law Journal; submissions editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- AB (Social Studies), magna cum laude, Harvard University, 2015; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2019