Eliza Pan is an associate at Ropes & Gray practicing in the health care group. Eliza provides regulatory, compliance, enforcement, and transactional advice to a range of health care clients, including hospitals and health systems, medical practice platforms, academic medical centers, higher education and research institutions, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, health information technology companies, and private equity investors.
During law school, Eliza was a notes and comments editor for the Yale Law Journal and a submissions editor for the Yale Journal on Regulation. As a member of the San Francisco Affirmative Litigation Project, Eliza worked on the San Francisco City Attorney’s team that helped the city and its co-plaintiff localities to reach a $305 million settlement with lead paint companies.
Prior to law school, Eliza worked at a global business research and advisory firm, where she developed best practice solutions for finance departments.
Health Care Regulatory, Compliance, and Enforcement Matters
- Advises clients on complex regulatory and compliance issues, including those related to fraud and abuse, Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement, CMS/CMMI innovation models (including Direct Contracting and ACO REACH), licensure, corporate practice of medicine, and data privacy.
- Defends health care entities subject to government investigations, conducts internal investigations of whistleblower and other compliance concerns, and implements corporate integrity agreements.
- Designs compliance program, policies, and trainings for provider organizations and health information technology companies.
- Drafts legal opinions, governance documents, and various types of contracts, including affiliation agreements, care management agreements, management services agreements, facility use agreements, and physician recruitment agreements.
- Counseled health care entities regarding compliance with federal and state laws and guidance arising out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Health Care Transactions
- Advises strategic investors and private equity firms on regulatory considerations for health care and life sciences transactions.
- Oversees preparation and submission of regulatory notices and filings in connection with complex transactions.
- Counsels clients regarding research activities, including human subjects research, genetic testing, animal research, and research in the educational setting.
- Advises higher education and research institutions regarding allegations of research misconduct and other issues relating to the integrity of scientific data, including related communications with governmental agencies and scientific journals.
Privacy and Cybersecurity Matters
- Advises clients on privacy matters, including the development of HIPAA business associate agreements, Notices of Privacy Practices, informed consent and HIPAA authorization procedures, data breach responses, and HIPAA, GDPR, and CCPA compliance training materials.
- Counsels clients regarding compliance with laws relating to sensitive health information and student information, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment.
- Provided guidance to a health system regarding restrictions on the use and disclosure of certain types of employee information.
- Counseled a health system on the scope and applicability of peer review privilege.
- Represents an asylum seeker in immigration court and Board of Immigration Appeals proceedings and obtained an employment authorization document renewal on the client’s behalf.
- Drafted by-law amendments for a non-profit organization.
- Advised non-profit organizations on matters relating to corporate governance, consent policies, and liability waivers.
- Co-author, Bloomberg BNA Health Care Program Compliance Guide, Chapter 1003 (“Hospitals—Teaching Physicians/Residents”) (revised 2021).
- Author, “Reimagining the Climate Migration Paradigm: Bridging Conceptual Barriers to Climate Migration Responses,” 50 Environmental Law 1173 (2020).
- JD, Yale Law School, 2019; notes and comments editor, Yale Law Journal; submissions editor, Yale Journal on Regulation
- AB (Social Studies), magna cum laude, Harvard University, 2015; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2019