James Parkinson joined the antitrust department as an associate in March 2021. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, James was an associate at a leading U.S. law firm in their London office.
James’ practice includes all aspects of UK and EU competition law, including merger control, foreign investment, cartel investigations and compliance. James has a particular focus on complex merger control and foreign investment issues, with significant experience navigating global regulatory approvals for cross-border transactions and other investments by multinational corporations, financial institutions and private equity clients.
- Advising Baring Private Equity Asia on its c. $7 billion merger with EQT.
- Advising McAfee Corp, a leading cybersecurity company, on the c. $14 billion sale of its Consumer business to an investor group comprising Advent International, Permira, Crosspoint Capital, Canada Pension Plan Investment Board, GIC and ADIA.
- Advising Acceleron Pharma on its approximately $11.5 billion million sale to Merck.
- Advising Cove Hill Partners on its $500 million sale of LiveAuctioneers to Auction Technology Group.
- Advising McAfee Corp, a leading cybersecurity company, on the $4 billion sale of its Enterprise business to Symphony Technology Group.
- Advising Baring Private Equity Asia on the sale of the global surgical business of Lumenis LTD. to Boston Scientific.
Representative matters prior to joining Ropes & Gray include:
- Advising Triton Partners on its acquisition of the tour operating activities of Corendon and subsequent combination with Sunweb.
- Advising Spectrum Brands on its $2 billion carve-out sale of its global consumer battery business (Varta & Rayovac) to Energizer.
- Advising Bain Capital and Cinven on their €5.3 billion joint public takeover for the German pharmaceutical company Stada Arzneimittal.
- Advising Tronox on its $2.2 billion acquisition of Cristal’s titanium dioxide business.
- Advising an automotive parts manufacturer in relation to an investigation by the European Commission into possible breaches of Article 101 TFEU.
- Advising CapVest on the carve-out acquisition from Mallinckrodt of its global nuclear imaging radiopharmaceuticals division.
- Advising Solera, a digital technology group part-owned by Vista Equity Partners, on its £340 million acquisition of Autodata.
- Advising Golden Gate Capital on its $2.9 billion acquisition of Neustar.
- Advising Golden Gate Capital on the $2.5 billion investment by Koch Industries in Infor.
- Advising Accenture on its $830 million disposal of Navitaire to Amadeus.
- Advising Guardian Industries Corp. on its acquisition by Koch Industries.
- Advising Vista Equity Partners on its $1.6 billion take-private acquisition of Infoblox.
- James Parkinson and Thomas Wilson, “Minority Shareholdings: An Overview of EU and National Case Law,” Concurrences, e-Competitions Special Issue (October 2020)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- Postgraduate Diploma (EU Competition Law), King's College London, 2015
- LPC, BPP Law School, London, 2012
- GDL, The College of Law, Guildford, 2011
- BA (French, German, Economics), University College, Durham University, 2010
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2014