Joseph Patchitt is an associate in Ropes & Gray’s private equity real estate team, resident in London. Joseph advises investors on their UK and European private equity real estate deals and in all aspects of real estate, acting for PE / RE funds, pension funds, private wealth, operating partners and developers. Joseph advises on a range of distressed and non-distressed transactions, including joint ventures, direct and indirect acquisitions, financings and disposals, sale and leasebacks, development projects and forward purchase and forward funding acquisitions.
Joseph has experience across all types of real estate assets and businesses, including offices, residential (build to rent and build to sell), student accommodation, retail and leisure, hotels, logistics and industrial and life sciences.
- Advising a global real estate investment firm on an initial joint venture investment into a UK build to rent forward purchase project, along with entry into an ongoing programmatic joint venture with the main joint venture partner for the project.
- Representing a North American asset management firm on a series of UK based build to rent forward purchases, structured by way of W&I backed share acquisitions.
- Acting for a pension fund on the pre-let development of a hotel and associated retail unit.
- Representing a global pharmaceutical company on its acquisition of a distressed UK based strategic research and manufacturing facility.
- Advising a tier 1 investment bank in connection with the grant of a conditional call option for co-investment into a joint venture for a c.£300m London based redevelopment scheme.
- Acting for a pension fund on various real estate acquisitions, disposals and financings across numerous asset classes, including office buildings, supermarkets and a shopping centre.
- Representing a global real estate investment firm on a series of acquisitions and financings of UK based residential and holiday park businesses.
- Acting for a pension fund on the forward funding golden brick acquisition of a UK build-to-rent development.
- Acting for the administrators on the distressed pre-pack sale of a well-known high-street retailer.
- Co-author, “In brief: real estate acquisitions and leases in the United Kingdom (England & Wales),” Getting the Deal Through, Lexology (December 2021)
- Co-author, “Real Estate: 2021, The Year of Adaptation and Recovery,” Getting the Deal Through, Lexology (December 2021)
- Author, “The Institutional Lease is Under Attack,” React News (November 10, 2020)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LPC, with distinction, BPP Law School, 2012
- LLB, First Class Honours, University of Leeds, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2015