Rupert Phillips joined the London antitrust department as an associate in October 2016. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Rupert was an associate at a leading U.S. law firm in their Brussels office. Rupert has a broad range of experience advising on all aspects of EU and UK competition law. Rupert also has significant experience advising clients on antitrust law matters in Asia, including abuse of dominance investigations and merger control.
Rupert is currently on assignment in the Washington, D.C. office, temporarily relocated from London.
Rupert advises clients across a variety of industries, with a particular focus on leading tech, pharmaceutical, and private equity clients (respectively).
Rupert is admitted to the New York State Bar. Rupert has an LL.M. from UC Berkeley School of Law, California, and an LL.B. from the London School of Economics.
- Advised Google before the Competition Commission of India in its acquisition of an interest in Reliance Jio Platforms valued at $4.5 billion.
- Acting for Google on various competition law investigations.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its US$18 billion acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation from Toshiba Corporation, by way of a Bain Capital-led consortium including Apple, Seagate Technology, Kingston Technology, Hoya, Dell Technologies and SK Hynix.
- Acted for Avista on the antitrust aspects of the sale of Trimb Healthcare to Karo Pharma, cleared subject to divestitures.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its acquisition of NGA UK from NGA Human Resources.
- Acted for APG in relation to its joint venture with Hines to develop real estate in Ireland.
- Acted for NxStage Medical in relation to its acquisition by Fresenius.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its acquisition of Asatsu-DK.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its purchase of a controlling stake in MKM Building Supplies.
- Represented Vista Equity Partners in their investment, along with TA Associates Management, in Aptean.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in acquiring ACETO Corporation’s chemicals business assets.
Notable transactions in which Rupert has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Acted for SanDisk in relation to its acquisition by Western Digital.
- Acted for an international health care information and services company to obtain clearance from the European Commission in relation to its acquisition of a related business.
- Acted for Actavis on its acquisition of Allergan for $66 billion to obtain clearance from the European Commission.
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to investigations by the European Commission concerning LIBOR and EURIBOR.
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to an investigation by the European Commission concerning credit default swaps.
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLM, University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 2014
- LLB, 2:1, The London School of Economics & Political Science, 2012
Admissions / Qualifications
- Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Supervised by Ropes & Gray LLP attorneys who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.
- New York, 2015
- New York State Court of Appeals