Rupert Phillips joined the London antitrust department as an associate in October 2016. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Rupert was an associate at a leading New York based law firm in their Brussels office.
Rupert advises clients on EU competition and regulatory law matters. He has a range of experience, including inquiries and investigations before the European Commission, and advising on mergers and acquisitions in multiple jurisdictions.
Rupert is admitted to the New York State Bar. Rupert has an LL.M. from UC Berkeley School of Law, California, and an LL.B. from the London School of Economics.
- Acting for Bain Capital on its pending US$18 billion acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation from Toshiba Corporation, by way of a Bain Capital-led consortium including Apple, Seagate Technology, Kingston Technology, Hoya, Dell Technologies and SK Hynix.
- Acting for Google in relation to multi-jurisdictional competition law investigations.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its acquisition of NGA UK from NGA Human Resources.
- Acted for APG in relation to its joint venture with Hines to develop real estate in Ireland.
- Acted for NxStage Medical in relation to its acquisition by Fresenius.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its acquisition of Asatsu-DK.
- Acted for Bain Capital on its purchase of a controlling stake in MKM Building Supplies.
Notable transactions in which Rupert has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Acted for SanDisk in relation to its acquisition by Western Digital.
- Acted for an international healthcare information and services company to obtain clearance from the European Commission in relation to its acquisition of a related business.
- Acted for Actavis on its acquisition of Allergan for $66 billion to obtain clearance from the European Commission.
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to investigations by the European Commission concerning LIBOR and EURIBOR.
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to an investigation by the European Commission concerning credit default swaps.
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 52100).
- LLM, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2014
- LLB, 2:1, The London School of Economics & Political Science, 2012