Sam Perrone is an associate practicing in the health care group. He advises a range of health care clients, including hospitals, health systems, pharmaceutical companies, and pharmacies, on regulatory, enforcement, compliance, and transactional matters.
Before joining the firm, Sam served as a law clerk to Judge Jacques L. Wiener, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and Chief Judge Sarah S. Vance, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Health Care/Life Sciences Regulatory Compliance – Counsels clients on complex regulatory issues, including those related to the Stark Law, Anti-Kickback Statute, False Claims Act, Civil Monetary Penalties Law, Medicare and Medicaid participation and reimbursement requirements, corporate practice of medicine, and HIPAA.
- Government Enforcement – Defends health care/life sciences companies subject to health care fraud investigations by federal and state enforcement agencies and to False Claims Act litigation, conducts internal investigations of whistleblower and other compliance concerns, and negotiates and implements Corporate Integrity Agreements.
- Audits/Self Disclosures – Advises on internal audits and, if necessary, preparation and negotiation of self-disclosures to federal and state agencies and of voluntary repayments to Medicare Administrative Contractors.
- Health Care Transactions – Advises on regulatory considerations for transactions by health care entities and investors in the health care industry.
- Pro Bono – Briefed case and presented oral argument as court-appointed counsel in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, winning reversal of adverse summary judgment decision.
- Co-author, “Rutledge vs. PCMA: The future of state regulation of pharmacy benefit,” Westlaw Today (June 25, 2021)
- Co-author, “HHS is Embracing a Broader Vision of Health Care,” Law360 (February 21, 2019)
- Co-author, “The Broad Reach of Medicare Act’s Preemption Provision,” Law360 (November 28, 2017)
- JD, summa cum laude, Tulane University Law School, 2014; Order of the Coif; Tulane Law Review
- BA, Tufts University, 2010
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers – Rising Stars (2017-2022)