Sam Perrone is an associate practicing in the health care group. He advises a range of health care clients, including hospitals, health systems, pharmaceutical companies, and pharmacies, on regulatory, enforcement, compliance, and transactional matters.
Before joining the firm in 2016, Sam served as a law clerk to Judge Jacques L. Wiener, Jr., U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, and Chief Judge Sarah S. Vance, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
- Advised health care providers in preparing and submitting self-disclosures of overpayments to the Office of Inspector General for the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Medicare Administrative Contractors, and state Medicaid programs.
- Advised a research university in conducting an internal investigation related to its use of federal award funding and its self-disclosure to state agency.
- Advised a pharmaceutical company in conducting multiple internal investigations of employee conduct.
- Advised a research institution in conducting an internal investigation involving allegations of research misconduct.
- Successfully represented a pharmacy in defending against a consumer fraud class action alleging violations of Medicare’s reimbursement rules.
- Defended a pharmacy in connection with an investigation by the United States Attorney’s Office into alleged Medicare fraud.
- Advised health care and research organizations on corporate finance matters, including tax-exempt and taxable public offerings and bank direct purchases.
- Represented a prisoner in habeas proceedings in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit.
- Co-author, “HHS is Embracing a Broader Vision of Health Care,” Law360 (February 21, 2019)
- Co-author, “The Broad Reach of Medicare Act’s Preemption Provision,” Law360 (November 28, 2017)