Renai S. Rodney
Renai Rodney is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s litigation & enforcement practice group. Clients benefit from her perspective as a former federal prosecutor, as well as her extensive investigative and trial skills.
During her nearly 12 years as Assistant U.S. Attorney in the Northern District of Illinois, Renai investigated and prosecuted cases involving a wide range of criminal conduct, including health care fraud, financial crimes and human trafficking. She prevailed in 11 jury trials and three bench trials, and successfully argued and defended nine cases before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit.
Renai’s government experience also includes serving as First Assistant Corporation Counsel in the City of Chicago’s law department. In this role, she advised on strategic approaches to high-profile litigation and complex transactional matters, as well as on their resolution. She also advised on the development and implementation of legal policies and procedures, and coordinated legal strategy with numerous city, county and federal agencies and legal organizations.
Since 2012, Renai has served as an adjunct professor at Northwestern Pritzker School of Law, teaching “Introduction to Trial Advocacy.” She has also taught “International Criminal Law in U.S. Courts.” Her teaching experience also includes traveling to Tanzania to conduct an intensive training on trial advocacy techniques and anti-corruption practices for local magistrate judges and lawyers.
Following her graduation from law school, Renai completed a two-year Equal Justice Works fellowship with the Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago. As a Fellow, she represented subsidized housing residents in administrative hearings and at the Circuit Court of Cook County.
- JD, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 2004; Note & Comment Development Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- BA, Dartmouth College, 1999
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2004
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Director’s Award (2017)
- Chicago Crime Commission Law Enforcement Excellence by a Task Force Award (2016)
- Northwestern Pritzker School of Law Young Alumni Public Interest Award (2011)
- Dartmouth College Martin Luther King Social Justice Award for Emerging Leadership (2008)