Alison E. Rundlett
Ali, a partner in Ropes & Gray's real estate investments & transactions group, is a skilled practitioner of transactional real estate matters, and is recognized as a leading expert in structuring commercial mortgage loan repurchase facilities. Ali regularly represents institutional investors, endowments, private equity funds, real estate funds, REITs, as well as operators and developers. Ali has extensive experience negotiating and structuring joint ventures, secured and unsecured debt, as well as advising on the acquisition, development, leasing, disposition and financing of real estate investments of all classes.
Ali’s knowledge and experience in real estate transactions has led to multiple requests to speak at industry events including the “State of the CRE Finance Market” at IMN 16th Annual Winter Forum on Real Estate Opportunity and Private Fund Investing (January 2019) as well as “Institutional Investor Perspectives” at Kayo Real Estate Summit (April 2018) among other engagements. She is also a member of the Real Estate Editorial Advisory Board for Law360. Dedicated to public service throughout her legal career, Ali is active in pro bono work for several clients including Massachusetts based Good Sports, Inc. and the Pine Street Inn. She also serves on the Women Fighting Hunger Steering Committee for the Greater Boston Food Bank.
- Representing publicly traded and private real estate investment trusts, as well as various private equity credit funds in negotiating and closing over $25 billion in master repurchase facilities, note-on-note facilities and secured warehouse facilities across from multiple major commercial and investment banks to finance commercial real estate loans secured by real estate in the United States, United Kingdom and throughout Europe, as well as in the individual financing of over 250 such loans under the various facilities.
- Represents Harvard Management Company, the investment advisor for the Harvard University endowment in joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions, development, and financings of various real estate assets, including timber and natural resource assets.
- Representation of sellers in disposition of privately held REITs through share sales, in excess of $300 million.
- Representation of capital partner in purchase of LP interests in three-party venture holding underlying portfolio of two dozen multifamily properties throughout San Francisco valued in excess of $300 million.
- Representation of Pine Street Inn pro bono in its acquisition, structuring and redevelopment of properties in Brookline, Massachusetts using equity, private construction financing and tax credit investment structures.
- Representation of capital partner in multi-party JV with preferred equity features, for the redevelopment of a multi-parcel assemblage in San Francisco.
- Represents owners in engaging developers and managers for various real estate projects including, office construction, student housing, and hotel development and management.
- Represented an international investor in acquisition of a controlling interest in a U.S. sports franchise and a minority interest in the development of a new arena.
- Represented a real estate private equity fund in its acquisition of a major New York City landmark, including transferable development rights.
- Co-author, “Special Servicing of CMBS Loans During Business Disruptions,” Bloomberg Law (September 2020)
- Panelist, “State of the CRE Finance Market 2019,” IMN Winter Forum on Real Estate Opportunity & Private Fund Investing, Laguna Beach (January 2019)
- Panelist, “Borrowers and Lenders: Who has the Upper Hand?” Kayo Real Estate Summit, New York City (June 2019)
- Panelist, “Institutional Investors' Perspectives,” Kayo Real Estate Summit, New York City (April 2018)
- Panelist, “Trends in Real Estate Credit Markets,” Kayo Women’s Real Estate Summit, New York City (April 2017)
- JD, cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2006; Richard S. Sullivan Award
- BA, Bowdoin College, 2003
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2007
- New York, 2007
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2017-2021)
- Empire State Counsel Pro Bono Honoree (2007-2010, 2012)