Cassandra B. Roth
Cassandra B. Roth is an associate in the intellectual property litigation group focusing on patent, trade secret, false advertising, and copyright matters, including computer software, consumer electronics, internet-of-things devices, and biologics. She has worked on numerous cases for both intellectual property rights holders and accused infringers. Her responsibilities include conducting pre-suit investigations, managing discovery, taking and defending fact and expert depositions, motion practice, and developing infringement, invalidity, and claim construction positions.
Cassandra also represents pro bono clients in a variety of state and federal proceedings, including habeas corpus, civil rights, Medicaid, U visa, and divorce matters. She was awarded a Pro Bono Publico Award in 2015 by the Legal Aid Society for her service.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray LLP, she served as a law clerk to the Honorable William H. Pauley III of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. Her legal career was preceded by employment at a Boston-area start-up where she developed disease-specific applications of a novel computational model of neuronal systems. Cassandra graduated from MIT with a degree from the Department of Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science and a degree from the Department of Urban Studies and Planning. She has experience programming in MATLAB, Fortran, and Ada.
- A Pharmaceutical Company – Represent plaintiff in a false advertising dispute.
- Arvest Bank v. RSA Security, Inc., (D. Mass) – Defend EMC and RSA in breach-of -contract action concerning indemnification for an underlying patent infringement suit.
- Veeco Instruments Inc. v. SGL Carbon, LLC et al.,(E.D.N.Y. / Fed. Cir.) – Represented Veeco in a two-patent infringement case related to removable wafer carriers used in the production of LEDs in Metal-Organic Chemical Vapor Deposition (MOCVD) systems. Successfully obtained a preliminary injunction prohibiting SGL from supplying infringing wafer carriers to Veeco’s chief MOCVD competitor, after which the case settled while on appeal.
- Rovi Technologies Corporation – Defended Rovi/TiVo in connection with inter partes review challenging patents related to interactive television program guides .
- A Designer Shoe Company (S.D. Fl.) – Represented plaintiff in a trade secret and contract dispute against former employee. Successfully obtained preliminary injunction to restrain defendant’s misappropriation of plaintiff’s trade secrets.
- R.R. Donnelley & Sons Company et al v. Nadolinski et al (D. Mass) – Represented global communications provider in a trade secret and contract dispute against former employee.
- Certain Digital Video Receivers and Hardware and Software Components Thereof (337-TA-1001) – Represented Rovi against Comcast in an investigation involving seven patents relating to interactive program guides and related technologies.
- Verified Hiring, LLC v. ADP, LLC (E.D. Tex.) – Defended ADP in NPE litigation involving employment data verification and matchmaking patents.
- Allure Energy, Inc. v. Honeywell International Inc. (W.D. Tex.) – Defended Honeywell in a patent infringement and false advertising litigation involving internet-of-things technology.
- A Pharmaceutical Company – Represented a pharmaceutical company in a U.S. Department of Justice investigation of potential off-label promotional activities.
- Co-author, “Comparing U.S. and EPO Approaches to Diagnostic Patents,” Bloomberg BNA’s World Intellectual Property Report (June 2017)
- Co-author, “Strategic and Practical Tips for Successful Ex Parte Seizure Under the DTSA,” NYIPLA The Report (December 2016/January 2017)
- Co-author, “Acknowledging the Elephant: The Federal Circuit’s Direct Address of Divided Direct Infringement in Akamai,” PLI Patent Litigation 2015 (November, 2015)
- Co-author,“White matter damage impairs adaptive recovery more than cortical damage in an in silico model of activity-dependent plasticity,” 24 J. Child Neurology 1205 (2009)
- JD, summa cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2013; Articles Editor, Boston College Law Review
- BS (Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Science), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
- BS (Planning), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007