Daniel M. Routh
AssociateDan Routh joined Ropes & Gray in 2010 as an associate in the litigation department, and practices in the firm’s business & securities litigation group. He represents companies in complex commercial disputes, and with a focus on representing large companies in litigation and investigations stemming from highly-publicized data security breaches. Dan has significant experience drafting dispositive motions in consumer class actions, responding to regulatory and card brand inquiries, and performing intensive fact and forensic investigations.
Dan also has an active pro bono practice, which has included direct representation of clients in asylum and guardianship matters. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Dan worked as a Fellow at Cambridge and Somerville Legal Services, where he represented clients in housing and benefits matters.
- Represented a health care technology company in putative class actions alleging violations of the TCPA’s junk fax rule.
- Advised a prescriptions supply company on a dispute relating to alleged violations of the TCPA.
- Target. Represents Target in responding to card brand inquiries stemming from the data security breach that Target announced in 2013.
- Represents a Fortune 100 Insurance Company with respect to litigation arising from a criminal cyber-attack on a certain portion of the company’s computer network.
- A Leading Consumer Technology Company. Represents a leading consumer technology company and its various entities in litigation arising from the criminal cyber-attacks announced in 2011, including multidistrict class action litigation and related matters.
- Represents a health care provider in a putative class action in New York relating to the purported theft of medical information from its facilities.
- Represented companies in mediations relating to post-closing disputes following acquisitions.
- Co-author, “Spokeo Decision Narrows the Path for Data Breach Plaintiffs,” The Daily Journal (San Francisco) (July 1, 2016)
- Co-author, “Supreme Court’s Clapper Decision Raises Bar For Standing in Data Security Breach Litigation,” Bloomberg BNA's Privacy and Security Law Report (April 1, 2013)
- Co-author, “Difficult Path To Certification Of Data Breach Classes,” Law360 (March 29, 2013)