Jonathan M. Reinstein
Jonathan Reinstein joined Ropes & Gray in 2019 and is an associate in the firm’s employment, executive compensation and employee benefits department.
Jon’s practice centers on new and emerging issues impacting the field of employee benefits and executive compensation. In particular, he has focused recently on the changing landscape of the U.S. Department of Labor’s guidance regarding plan investments and environmental, social and corporate governance (ESG) considerations, best practices in ERISA fiduciary governance, and litigation risks for plan sponsors and fiduciaries, including plan investment menu design.
Jon also has experience advising public and private companies on executive compensation issues, including, among other things, structuring equity-based and other incentives, deferred compensation, executive employment agreements, and separation agreements. He has also worked with reporting companies on meeting securities law disclosure requirements related to their executive compensation programs.
In his role as overseer of the department’s legal knowledge library, Jon guides practice group attorneys on the use of appropriate forms, precedents, checklists, and other knowledge management resources and assists them in tailoring resources for specific client needs.
Prior to joining the firm, he was an associate in the employee benefits and executive compensation groups of two other international law firms.
- Co-author, “3 Takeaways From Intel Retirement Plan Leaders' ERISA Win,” Ropes & Gray Practice Note (February 18, 2021)
- Co-author, “Boards, Shareholders and Executive Pay,” Cleary & PWC Present: The Executive Compensation Series (July 21, 2016)
- Co-author, “United States,” The Executive Remuneration Review (4th Ed., 2015)
- Co-author, “Nasdaq Proposes Tweaks to Compensation Committee Independence Requirements,” Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (December 24, 2013)
- Co-presenter, “ESG – A New Chapter for Plan Sponsors and Fiduciaries," Worldwide Employee Benefits Network, NY Chapter Webinar (January 20, 2022)
- JD, magna cum laude, New York Law School, 2013
- MS (Library and Information Science), summa cum laude, C.W. Post Campus of Long Island University, 2007
- BA (Anthropology), summa cum laude, Stony Brook University, 2006
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2014
- New Jersey, 2013
- New York Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2021)