Judith G. Rubin
Judith Rubin is an associate in the privacy & cybersecurity practice group in the New York office. Judith is a Certified Information Privacy Professional and advises clients in wide range of industries, including finance, medical, pharmaceutical, and energy. She routinely advises clients on federal, state, and foreign privacy and security requirements related to the collection, handling, and protection of personal information, including the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Judith also assists clients in complying with marketing privacy laws such as the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and the U.S. CAN-SPAM Act.
In her practice, Judith counsels clients on privacy and cybersecurity matters arising in corporate transactions and assists clients in responding to data breach incidents. Judith is also experienced in advising clients on difficult privacy compliance questions, assisting them with the development of global privacy programs, privacy policies, data protection impact assessments, and the implementation of data transfer mechanisms.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Judith worked in the European office of another major international law firm, where her practice focused on white collar internal investigations and data privacy. Among other things, she conducted internal investigations as part of a multinational white collar defense team and counseled clients on compliance with German and EU laws on anti-bribery, corruption, money laundering, trade sanctions, export control, privacy, and data protection.
Before entering private practice, Judith clerked for the German Federal Constitutional Court (Bundesverfassungsgericht), where her duties included advising the Justices of the Court on U.S. and international law, as well as engaging in comparative legal analysis.
- Co-author, “EU Member State Courts Rule Against Facebook’s WhatsApp in Decisions Providing Guidance on the Contours of Consent for Data Processing,” Ropes & Gray Privacy Alert (March 21, 2018)
- “When Trade Law Meets Public Health Evidence: The World Trade Organization and Clove Cigarettes,” 21 TOBACCO CONTROL 596 (2012) (with Holly Jarman et al.)
- “The Legal Background for Development-Friendly Economic Partnership Agreements Between the European Union and ACP Countries, advisory opinion for the GTZ (Gesellschaft für Technische Zusammenarbeit, a German government-owned cooperative enterprise for sustainable development)” (2007)
- “Possibility and Modalities of a Withdrawal of Germany From the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development,” advisory opinion for the German NGO Forum Umwelt & Entwicklung (2005)
- LLM, University of Michigan Law School, 2010
- Second State Examination, Berlin Department of Justice (Germany), 2008
- Legal Training Program, Brandenburg Higher Regional Court (Germany), 2005-2008
- First State Examination, University of Potsdam (Germany), 2005
- Visiting Student, University of Kazan, Faculty of Law (Russia), 2001-2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2016
- Frankfurt am Main (Germany), 2015