Martin Q. Ruhaak
Martin (Marty) Ruhaak has built an impressive reputation in the private equity industry for tackling complexities and designing deal structures that help clients optimize value and strategic opportunities.
Clients value Marty’s sophisticated understanding of how to navigate the issues facing private equity firms and their portfolio companies, as demonstrated by his many deep-rooted client relationships that extend to multiple deals in diverse industries. He has a unique ability to assist private equity investors throughout the life cycle of an investment, navigating business, regulatory and transactional issues in volatile markets. Most recently, Marty has been advising clients in connection with concerns regarding the potential implications of the COVID-19 outbreak and the impact on their investments.
Marty complements wide-ranging transactional knowledge with a keen understanding of the objectives and risks associated with his clients’ target industries, enabling him to serve as both a strategic and transactional advisor. He leads legal teams across numerous key industries, including health care, technology, business services, insurance, financial services, retail and consumer products, government contracts, and energy.
Marty’s experience encompasses the full range of strategic transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, dispositions, leveraged buyouts, equity and debt financings, restructurings, and recapitalizations. In addition to private equity firms, his clients include leading public companies, family offices, institutional investors, high-net-worth individuals, independent sponsors and mezzanine equity/debt funds, and public and private companies.
Marty is recognized by The Legal 500—the world’s largest legal referral guide—as a go-to attorney for “M&A/Corporate and Commercial – Private Equity Buyouts.” In April 2019, he was appointed to the Eastern Illinois University Board of Trustees.
- Represented Onward Capital in its acquisition of (i) Domaille Engineering LLC, a contract manufacturing services for the aerospace, defense, and telecommunications industries, (ii) Connecticut Electric, a designer, manufacturer and distributor of specialty electrical components sold through electrical distributors, (iii) Fluorescent Supply Co. Inc., a manufacturer of commercial lighting fixtures, and various add-on acquisitions.*
- Represented Gryphon Investors in its (i) acquisition of Orchid Underwriters Agency LLC, (ii) sale of Orchid Underwriters Agency LLC to TowerBrook Capital Partners and (iii) sale of DLC Group to the Addison Group.*
- Represented Frontenac Company in its (i) acquisition of Motion and Control Solutions, (ii) sale of GNAP LLC to Center Oak Partners and (iii) sale of Liquid Technologies to PLZ Aeroscience Corp.*
- Represented PSP Partners in its acquisition of 3Q Digital.*
- Represented BBH Capital Partners in (i) its acquisition of Utility Pipeline, Ltd., (ii) its investment in Heniff Transportation, (iii) its acquisition of 700 Valve LLC and (iv) the formation of a transloading terminal joint venture with Anacostia Rail Holdings Company.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Quoted, “Companies stressed by fallout from COVID becoming targets,” Crain’s Chicago Business (June 5, 2020)
- Quoted, “Private Equity Sees Help in Fed’s New Coronavirus Stimulus,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (April 9, 2020)
- Quoted, “PE continues to lobby for relief after small businesses locked out of CARES Act,” S&P Global Market Intelligence (April 7, 2020)
- Speaker, “Finding and Creating Value in a Competitive Deal Market,” 19th Annual Private Equity Conference hosted by the Private Equity Group at Chicago Booth
- JD, cum laude, Syracuse University College of Law, 2007
- BA, summa cum laude, Eastern Illinois University, 2004