Matthew J. Richards
Matt Richards is a partner in the firm’s private equity transactions group in Chicago. Matt advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, other institutional investors, family offices, and other private and public companies on a variety of complex acquisition, disposition, financing, and restructuring transactions. He regularly works on large-cap and middle-market leveraged acquisitions, growth equity and venture financing transactions, sales and other dispositions, restructuring transactions, and strategic acquisitions. He also routinely counsels clients on management compensation and equity arrangements, corporate governance, compliance matters, and joint ventures.
Matt has represented companies and investors in transactions in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, life sciences, software, business services, consumer products, manufacturing, and distribution. He has strong experience in transactions involving financial services, including transactions involving broker-dealers, insurance brokers, advisers to registered and unregistered funds, and other asset managers.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its going-private acquisition of National Financial Partners, a leading provider of benefits, insurance, and wealth management services, for approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Represented NFP in connection with the acquisition by Stone Point Capital of a majority interest in Kestra Financial, the former NFP Advisor Services business, and the related strategic relationship between NFP and Kestra.
- Represented NFP in connection with HPS Investment Partners’ minority equity investment in NFP and in connection with multiple other financing and recapitalization transactions by NFP.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading provider of print-based specialty packaging.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners and its portfolio company Multi Packaging Solutions in a merger-of-equals transaction with Chesapeake Services, Ltd., a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group, which led to the creation of a combined business with annual sales in excess of US$1.4 billion.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions Limited in its approximately US$2.3 billion sale to WestRock.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its strategic investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, the leading behavioral health specialty pharmacy company in the United States.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Ansira Partners, Inc., a leading data-driven, technology-enabled marketing solutions provider, and subsequently represented Ansira in connection with its acquisition of CDK Global’s Digital Marketing business.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Walmart Brazil.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its majority investment in Aimbridge Hospitality, a leading third-party hotel operator.
- Represented Aimbridge Hospitality in connection with its subsequent merger with Interstate Hotels & Resorts, which created a combined company managing a portfolio of more than 1,400 branded and independent properties in 49 states and 20 countries.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of AccentCare, one of the largest home health and personal care platforms in the United States, and subsequently represented AccentCare in connection with its acquisition of Seasons Hospice & Palliative Care.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of Nielsen Global Connect from Nielsen Holdings plc for $2.7 billion.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its acquisition of KPA Services, a leading provider of environmental, health, and safety compliance and human resources management solutions to automotive dealerships and service companies.
- Represented CIVC Partners and KPA Services in connection with KPA’s majority investment from Providence Equity Partners and CIVC’s retention of a minority interest in KPA.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its investment in Magna Legal Services, a provider of litigation support services to over 2,000 law firms and corporations across the United States.
- Represented Magna Legal Services in connection with its subsequent acquisition of RecordTrak, a leading nationwide provider of record retrieval services.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its formation of Specialized Elevator Services Holdings and the related acquisitions of San Francisco Elevator, Ascent Elevator, Specialized Elevator and ESR Elevator.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its investment in Crest Insurance Group, a leading insurance broker focused on commercial property & casualty, employee benefits, and personal lines.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of and strategic investment in Wireless Vision, the largest T-Mobile exclusive retailer in the United States.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Infosoft, a leading provider of regulatory compliance and recruitment solutions, and subsequently represented Infosoft (now known as Circa) in its acquisition of America’s Job Exchange.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Miami Beach Medical Group, a provider of at-risk primary care in Florida.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of TVC Enterprises, a leading provider of legal services to commercial truck drivers.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of irth Solutions, a leading provider of 811 ticket management and field service management software
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of Schlesinger Group, a provider of quantitative and qualitative market research solutions to customers throughout North America and Europe.
- Represented Schlesinger Group in its subsequent acquisitions of Focus Pointe Global, Market Cube, and 20/20 Research.
- Represented Weather Group and its majority equity holders, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group, in the sale of Weather, the leading provider of weather coverage, to Entertainment Studios, Inc.
- Represented a number of family offices and other private investors, including Fisk Ventures, Quadrant Capital Advisors, and Profile Capital, in connection with leveraged acquisitions of, and venture and growth equity investments in, businesses in the diagnostics, genomics, telecom, medical device, spirits, non-alcoholic beverages, food, fashion, and specialty retail industries.
- Represented BrightSphere Investment Group in its divestiture of its affiliates Barrow Hanley, to Perpetual Limited, and Copper Rock Capital Partners, generating aggregate after-tax proceeds of approximately $355 million to BrightSphere.
- Represented iCapital Network in connection with its acquisition of the HedgeFocus business of Credit Suisse, the U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform of Deutsche Bank, Bank of America’s AI feeder funds operations business, and the alternative investments feeder fund business of Morgan Stanley.
- Represented Ameritas Holding Company and its subsidiary Calvert Investment Management in connection with the acquisition of the business assets of Calvert by Eaton Vance.
- Quoted, “Deal Makers’ Interest In Tech M&A Continues To Rise,” Law360 (October 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Megadeals Of 2015 To Incite Midsized Asset Feeding Frenzy,” Law360 (January 8, 2016)
- Quoted, “7 Trends Pushing Private Equity Toward A New Normal In 2016,” Law360 (December 24, 2015)
- “Dealmakers Q&A: Ropes & Gray’s Matthew Richards,” Law360 (September 5, 2014)
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2000
- MA, Columbia University, 1998
- BA, with Honors, Johns Hopkins University, 1995; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2000
- IFLR1000 (2019-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2015-2021)
- The Legal 500 (2014, 2016)