Matthew J. Richards
Matt Richards is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s private equity transactions group in Chicago. He is a versatile practitioner who represents a diverse set of clients in an equally diverse spectrum of transactions and industries. The breadth of his practice enables him to bring an exceptionally well-informed perspective to transactional matters.
Matt principally advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, large family offices, and private and public companies on a variety of complex transactions. His work encompasses large-cap and middle-market leveraged acquisitions, growth equity and venture financing transactions, dispositions, restructuring transactions, and strategic acquisitions. Beyond transactions, he advises clients on management compensation and equity arrangements, corporate governance, and compliance matters.
Clients particularly appreciate Matt’s ability to assess the complexities of a transaction and find a way forward that works for all parties. "He is able to balance the legal risks with the business objective of getting the transaction done," notes Chambers. "He's a pragmatic and responsive attorney."
Matt’s creative problem-solving has benefited clients in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, life sciences, software, business services, consumer products, manufacturing and distribution. He has particularly extensive experience with financial services transactions, including those involving insurance brokers, broker-dealers, advisers to registered and unregistered funds, and other asset managers.
Matt’s experience includes representing:
- Advent International in its acquisitions of Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company; Ansira Partners; Walmart Brazil; AccentCare; Aimbridge Hospitality; and Nielsen Global Connect, as well as Aimbridge Hospitality’s acquisition of Interstate Hotels & Resorts.
- Gauge Capital in its acquisitions of Wireless Vision, Infosoft (n/k/a Circa), Miami Beach Medical Group, TVC Enterprises, irth Solutions, Schlesinger Group and NINJIO; numerous subsequent portfolio company transactions, including the acquisitions of America’s Job Exchange by Infosoft and of Focus Pointe Global, Market Cube and 20/20 Research by Schlesinger Group.
- Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisitions of National Financial Partners and Multi Packaging Solutions, and Multi Packaging Solutions in its combination with Chesapeake and subsequent sale to WestRock.
- CIVC Partners in its acquisitions of KPA Services, Magna Legal Services, Specialized Elevator Services and Crest Insurance Group, as well as in connection with the majority investment in KPA Services by Providence Equity Partners.
- Bain Capital and Blackstone in their sale of Weather Group to Entertainment Studios.
- Fisk Ventures, Quadrant Capital Advisors and Profile Capital, among other family offices, in several leveraged acquisition and venture and growth equity transactions.
Financial Services Transactions
Matt has represented many financial services providers in key strategic transactions, including:
- National Financial Partners (NFP) in connection with the sale of its advisory services business to Stone Point Capital, a significant minority investment in NFP by HPS Investment Partners, and multiple other financing transactions.
- BrightSphere Investment Group in connection with its dispositions of Barrow, Hanley, Mewhinney & Strauss; Copper Rock Capital; Investment Counselors of Maryland; Landmark Partners; Thompson, Siegel & Walmsley; and Campbell Global.
- iCapital Network in connection with its acquisitions of the HedgeFocus business of Credit Suisse, the U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform of Deutsche Bank, Bank of America’s AI feeder funds business, and Morgan Stanley’s alternative feeder funds business.
- Quoted, “Deal Makers’ Interest In Tech M&A Continues To Rise,” Law360 (October 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Megadeals Of 2015 To Incite Midsized Asset Feeding Frenzy,” Law360 (January 8, 2016)
- Quoted, “7 Trends Pushing Private Equity Toward A New Normal In 2016,” Law360 (December 24, 2015)
- “Dealmakers Q&A: Ropes & Gray’s Matthew Richards,” Law360 (September 5, 2014)
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2000
- MA, Columbia University, 1998
- BA, with Honors, Johns Hopkins University, 1995; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2000
- Chambers USA (2021)
- IFLR1000 (2019-2022)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2015-2022)
- The Legal 500 (2014, 2016)