Matthew J. Richards
Matt Richards is a partner in the firm’s private equity transactions group in the Chicago office. Matt advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, other private and public companies, venture investors, and family offices on a variety of complex acquisition, sale, financing, and restructuring transactions. He regularly works on large-cap and middle-market leveraged acquisitions, growth equity and venture financing transactions, going-private transactions, sales and other dispositions, and strategic acquisitions. He also has experience in senior and subordinated debt financing, high yield offerings, private placements of debt securities, and restructuring transactions. He routinely counsels clients on management compensation and equity arrangements, corporate governance, compliance matters, and joint ventures.
Matt has represented companies and investors in transactions in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, life sciences, software, business services, consumer products, manufacturing, and distribution. He has strong experience in transactions involving financial services, including transactions involving broker-dealers, insurance brokers, advisers to registered and unregistered funds, and other asset managers.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its going-private acquisition of National Financial Partners, a leading provider of benefits, insurance, and wealth management services, for approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Represented NFP in connection with the acquisition by Stone Point Capital of a majority interest in Kestra Financial, the former NFP Advisor Services business, and the related strategic relationship between NFP and Kestra.
- Represented NFP in connection with HPS Investment Partners’ minority equity investment in NFP.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading provider of print-based specialty packaging.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners and its portfolio company Multi Packaging Solutions in a merger of equals transaction with Chesapeake Services, Ltd., a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group, which led to the creation of a combined business with annual sales in excess of US$1.4 billion.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions Limited in its approximately US$2.3 billion sale to WestRock.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its strategic investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, the leading behavioral health specialty pharmacy company in the United States.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Ansira Partners, Inc., a leading data-driven, technology-enabled marketing solutions provider.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Walmart Brazil.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its majority investment in Aimbridge Hospitality, a leading third-party hotel operator.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of AccentCare, one of the largest home health and personal care platforms in the United States.
- Represented Weather Group and its majority equity holders, Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group, in the sale of Weather, the leading provider of weather coverage, to Entertainment Studios, Inc.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its acquisition of KPA Services, a leading provider of environmental, health, and safety compliance and human resources management solutions to automotive dealerships and service companies.
- Represented CIVC Partners and KPA Services in connection with KPA’s majority investment from Providence Equity Partners and CIVC’s retention of a minority interest in KPA.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its investment in Magna Legal Services, a provider of litigation support services to over 2,000 law firms and corporations across the United States.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its formation of Specialized Elevator Services Holdings and the related acquisitions of San Francisco Elevator, Ascent Elevator, and Specialized Elevator.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of and strategic investment in Wireless Vision, the largest T-Mobile exclusive retailer in the United States.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Infosoft, a leading provider of regulatory compliance and recruitment solutions.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Miami Beach Medical Group, a provider of at-risk primary care in Florida.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of TVC Enterprises, a leading provider of legal services to commercial truck drivers.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of irth Solutions, a leading provider of 811 ticket management and field service management software
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of Schlesinger Group, a provider of quantitative and qualitative market research solutions to customers throughout North America and Europe.
- Represented iCapital Network in connection with its acquisition of the HedgeFocus business of Credit Suisse, the U.S. Private Equity Access Fund Platform of Deutsche Bank, Bank of America’s AI feeder funds operations business, and the alternative investments feeder fund business of Morgan Stanley.
- Represented Ameritas Holding Company and its subsidiary Calvert Investment Management in connection with the acquisition of the business assets of Calvert by Eaton Vance.
- Represented a number of family offices and other private investors, including Fisk Ventures, Quadrant Capital Advisors, and Profile Capital, in connection with leveraged acquisitions of, and venture and growth equity investments in, businesses in the diagnostics, genomics, telecom, medical device, spirits, beverages, food, fashion, and specialty retail industries.
- Quoted, “Deal Makers' Interest In Tech M&A Continues To Rise,” Law360 (October 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Megadeals Of 2015 To Incite Midsized Asset Feeding Frenzy,” Law360 (January 8, 2016)
- Quoted, “7 Trends Pushing Private Equity Toward A New Normal In 2016,” Law360 (December 24, 2015)
- “Dealmakers Q&A: Ropes & Gray’s Matthew Richards,” Law360 (September 5, 2014)
- JD, with Honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2000
- MA, Columbia University, 1998
- BA, with Honors, Johns Hopkins University, 1995; Phi Beta Kappa