Matthew J. Richards
Matt Richards is a partner a partner in the firm’s private equity transactions group in the Chicago office. Matt advises private equity funds, their portfolio companies, other private and public companies, venture investors, and family offices on a variety of complex acquisition, sale, financing, and restructuring transactions. He regularly works on large cap and middle market leveraged acquisitions, growth equity and venture financing transactions, going private transactions, sales and other dispositions, and strategic acquisitions. He also has experience in senior and subordinated debt financing, high yield offerings, private placements of debt securities, and restructuring transactions. He routinely counsels clients on management compensation and equity arrangements, corporate governance, compliance matters, and joint ventures.
Matt has represented companies and investors in transactions in a wide variety of industries, including telecommunications, life sciences, software, business services, consumer products, manufacturing, and distribution. He has strong experience in transactions involving financial services, including transactions involving broker-dealers, insurance brokers, advisers to registered and unregistered funds, and other asset managers.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its going-private acquisition of National Financial Partners, a leading provider of benefits, insurance, and wealth management services, for approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in its acquisition of Multi Packaging Solutions, a leading provider of print-based specialty packaging.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners and its portfolio company Multi Packaging Solutions in a merger of equals transaction with Chesapeake Services, Ltd., a portfolio company of The Carlyle Group, which led to the creation of a combined business with annual sales in excess of US$1.4 billion.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its strategic investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, the leading behavioral health specialty pharmacy company in the US.
- Represented Advent International in connection with its acquisition of a majority stake in Ansira Partners, Inc., a leading data-driven, technology-enabled marketing solutions provider.
- Represented NFP in connection with the acquisition by Stone Point Capital of a majority interest in Kestra Financial, the former NFP Advisor Services business, and the related strategic relationship between NFP and Kestra.
- Represented NFP in connection with HPS Investment Partners’ minority equity investment in NFP.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions Limited in its approximately US$2.3 billion sale to WestRock.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of and strategic investment in Wireless Vision, the largest T-Mobile Exclusive Retailer in the US.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Infosoft, a leading provider of regulatory compliance and recruitment solutions.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of Miami Beach Medical Group, a provider of at-risk primary care in Florida.
- Represented CIVC Partners in its acquisition of KPA Services, a leading provider of environmental, health, and safety compliance and human resources management solutions to automotive dealerships and service companies.
- Represented Madison Dearborn Partners in connection with select aspects of its acquisition of a majority interest in Walgreens Infusion Services from Walgreens Co.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions in its acquisitions of Integrated Printing Solutions, Jet Lithocolor, Armstrong Packaging, Presentation Products, Chicago Paper Tube and Can Company, i3 Plastic Cards, Paris Art Label and the North American and Asian print businesses of AGI-Shorewood Group.
- Represented iCapital Network in connection with its acquisition of the HedgeFocus business of Credit Suisse and the US Private Equity Access Fund Platform of Deutsche Bank.
- Represented Ameritas Holding Company and its subsidiary Calvert Investment Management in connection with the acquisition of the business assets of Calvert by Eaton Vance.
- Represented Fisk Ventures, LLC in connection with permanent and bridge equity financing for multiple portfolio companies in the diagnostics, genomics, telecom, and medical device industries.
- Represented Quadrant Capital Advisors in connection with venture and growth equity financing for multiple portfolio companies in the spirits, beverages, fashion, retail, and telecom industries.
- Quoted, “Deal Makers' Interest In Tech M&A Continues To Rise,” Law360 (October 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Megadeals Of 2015 To Incite Midsized Asset Feeding Frenzy,” Law360 (January 8, 2016)
- Quoted, “7 Trends Pushing Private Equity Toward A New Normal In 2016,” Law360 (December 24, 2015)
- “Dealmakers Q&A: Ropes & Gray’s Matthew Richards,” Law360 (September 5, 2014)