Matthew M. Roose
Matt represents official and unofficial creditors' and equity committees in chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. He also represents significant creditors, lenders and third-party purchasers in connection with chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructuring situations.
- Representing an ad hoc group of senior secured noteholders and convertible noteholders of Quotient Limited, a publicly-listed European-based diagnostics company, with respect to, among other things, its pending chapter 11 case and recapitalization involving more than $250 million of secured and unsecured debt.
- Representing an ad hoc group of first lien lenders of K&N Engineering, Inc., a leading consumer-branded designer, manufacturer and marketer of high performance automotive and power sports aftermarket parts, in a $60 million new money financing in connection with its out of court restructuring of approximately $415 million of funded indebtedness.
- Represented an ad hoc group of bondholders of Exela Technologies, Inc. with respect to, among other things, an out of court exchange involving approximately $1.0 billion of first lien bond debt.
- Represented Aleris Corporation in the chapter 11 cases of Real Industry.*
- Represented an ad hoc group of noteholders of Forbes Energy Services.*
- Represented Goldman Sachs Asset Management as sponsor of Constellation Enterprises, a chapter 11 debtor.*
- Represented Fidelity Management & Research Co. in the chapter 11 cases of Energy Future Holdings, Inc.*
- Represented ad hoc group of noteholders of Forbes Energy Services in pre-packaged chapter 11 plan.*
- Represented Appaloosa, Centerbridge, Owl Creek, and Aurelius in the chapter 11 cases of Washington Mutual, Inc.*
- Represented Centerbridge, Paulson, and Blackstone in the purchase of Extended Stay, Inc., a chapter 11 debtor.*
- Represented Ascribe Capital and Phoenix Investments in the out-of-court restructuring of Alion Science and Technology Co.*
- Represented an ad hoc group of noteholders in connection with Georgia Gulf Corp.’s debt for equity exchange.*
- Represented an ad hoc group of first lien debt holders in the chapter 11 cases of Merisant Co.*
- Represented the independent directors in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Innkeepers USA Trust.*
- Represented the Equity Committee in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Calpine Corp.*
- Represented the New York Liquidation Bureau and the NYS Department of Financial Services in connection with the $2.1 billion mortgage backed securities settlement between MBIA and Bank of America.*
- Represented the NYS Department of Financial Services in connection with the restructuring of monoline insurers (Syncora, FGIC, MBIA, and CIFG).*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “CDS ‘Net Short’ Holder Market Developments,” The New York Law Journal (September 20, 2019)
- JD, cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 2006
- BA, Colgate University, 2001
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2007
- Law360: Rising Stars Award (2017)