Matthew M. Roose
PartnerMatt represents official and unofficial creditors' and equity committees in chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructurings. He also represents significant creditors, lenders and third-party purchasers in connection with chapter 11 cases and out-of-court restructuring situations.
- Represented Aleris Corporation in the chapter 11 cases of Real Industry.
- Represented an ad hoc group of noteholders of Forbes Energy Services.
- Represented Goldman Sachs Asset Management as sponsor of Constellation Enterprises, a chapter 11 debtor.
- Represented Fidelity Management & Research Co. in the chapter 11 cases of Energy Future Holdings, Inc.
- Represented ad hoc group of noteholders of Forbes Energy Services in pre-packaged chapter 11 plan.
- Represented Appaloosa, Centerbridge, Owl Creek, and Aurelius in the chapter 11 cases of Washington Mutual, Inc.
- Represented Centerbridge, Paulson, and Blackstone in the purchase of Extended Stay, Inc., a chapter 11 debtor.
- Represented Ascribe Capital and Phoenix Investments in the out-of-court restructuring of Alion Science and Technology Co.
- Represented an ad hoc group of noteholders in connection with Georgia Gulf Corp.’s debt for equity exchange.
- Represented an ad hoc group of first lien debt holders in the chapter 11 cases of Merisant Co.
- Represented the independent directors in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Innkeepers USA Trust.
- Represented the Equity Committee in connection with the chapter 11 cases of Calpine Corp.
- Represented the New York Liquidation Bureau and the NYS Department of Financial Services in connection with the $2.1 billion mortgage backed securities settlement between MBIA and Bank of America.
- Represented the NYS Department of Financial Services in connection with the restructuring of monoline insurers (Syncora, FGIC, MBIA, and CIFG).
The above representations were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “CDS ‘Net Short’ Holder Market Developments,” The New York Law Journal (September 20, 2019)
- JD, cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 2006
- BA, Colgate University, 2001
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2007
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2007
- Law360: Rising Stars Award (2017)