Melissa S. Rones
Melissa counsels life sciences clients on a wide range of intellectual property issues, including patent portfolio strategy and life cycle management, licensing and monetization strategy, and the risks associated with third party intellectual property. She also performs due diligence investigations and advises clients on strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities to mitigate risk and remedy issues related to intellectual property in the context of a range of transactions, including private financings and capital markets transactions, license agreements, collaborations, joint ventures, and mergers and acquisitions.
Prior to joining the firm, Melissa completed a Ph.D. in cell and developmental biology from Harvard University. Her graduate work focused on examining signaling events involved during the patterning of tissues to generate complex organs and helped define specific roles for Notch signaling in both cardiogenesis and nephrogenesis.
- Represents a publicly traded biotechnology company in connection with their acquisition activities. Helped our client evaluate the patent portfolios for two target companies, identify potential issues, and develop appropriate remediation strategies.
- Represents a biopharmaceutical company developing numerous antibody products and product candidates. In addition to drafting and prosecuting patent applications and developing life-cycle management strategies, assists the client in diligence efforts to evaluate in-licensing and partnering opportunities.
- Represented the underwriters in connection with over 30 public offerings, including both initial public offerings and follow-on offerings.
- Represents a public biotechnology company for over 10 years on a variety of intellectual property matters. During that period, drafted and prosecuted a broad patent portfolio in the U.S. and around the world and coordinated activities with collaboration partners.
- Represents a private biotechnology company developing novel protein therapeutics. Counsels the client on patent strategy, portfolio development, and general intellectual property matters.
- Performed IP due diligence for a venture capital firm in connection with an investment in a nucleic acid instrumentation company.
- Performed IP due diligence for a syndicate of venture capital firms in connection with an investment in a protein therapeutics company.
- Represented a medical device client in an ex parte reexamination and obtained claims that preserved coverage for their primary product.
- Co-author, “Strategic Decisions in the Wake of Akamai: Considerations for Life Sciences Companies,” InsideCounsel (February/March 2016)
- Co-author, “Patent Infringement After FDA Approval: New Developments,” Bloomberg BNA's Patent, Trademark and Copyright Journal (November 2012)
- Presenter, "Biotech Basics for Lawyers," Boston Bar Association (January 29, 2008)
- Presenter, "Beyond Business Methods: Assessing the Impact of Bilski on Life Sciences Inventions," Boston Bar Association (January 20, 2009)
- Presenter, “Patent Dispute Resolution Under the BPCI Act: Preparing for What Lies Ahead,” 2nd C5 Forum, Biosimiliars 2012 (November 29, 2012)
- Presenter, “Remapping the Safe Harbor: New Issues for Infringement After FDA Approval,” Bloomberg BNA Webinar (January 30, 2013)
- Presenter, “Patents & the Supreme Court: What Myriad and Monsanto Mean for Life Sciences Technologies,” Ropes & Gray West Coast Lunchtime Legal Briefing Teleconference (August 21, 2013)