Patrick J. Reinikainen
Patrick Reinikainen is an associate in the firm’s litigation and enforcement practice group. Patrick represents clients in civil and criminal government enforcement matters, complex litigation, and internal investigations. He also has experience advising companies on a wide range of regulatory compliance and risk management issues.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Patrick served as a law clerk for the Honorable Julio M. Fuentes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Thomas P. Griesa of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. While in law school, Patrick interned for the Honorable John T. Curtin in U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York and the Honorable Gerald J. Whalen in New York State Supreme Court. He also served as an extern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, where he assisted federal prosecutors with violent and white collar criminal matters.
Patrick maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included the representation of a group of constitutional law professors as amici curiae in a case involving an issue of Presidential immunity and assisting Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in the representation of criminal defendants in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Representing individuals and companies across industries in criminal and civil proceedings brought by the SEC and DOJ.
- Advising on compliance and risk management issues and the handling of regulatory examinations and investigations by the SEC.
- Conducting internal investigations for both public and private companies.
- Assisting a company in responding to a civil antitrust inquiry by the DOJ.*
- Advising multinational corporations on FCPA, sanctions, and anti-money laundering issues.
- Assisting companies in responding to inquiries from banking regulators, including the Federal Reserve Bank of New York.*
- Defending companies in connection with DOJ investigations into alleged violations of FIRREA and the False Claims Act.*
- Assisting companies in responding to inquiries from various SROs, including FINRA.
- Counseling a major pharmaceutical company in connection with enhancing its cross-border ethics and compliance program.
- Advising companies on the potential regulatory, litigation, and compliance risks associated with alternative data, data monetization, and automated research tools.
- Advising companies on various data privacy and cybersecurity regulatory compliance matters.
- Defending a financial advisor against allegations of aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in shareholder litigation arising out of an international going private transaction.
- Representing a private equity firm in investor litigation arising out of an international recapitalization transaction.
- Defending one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in multiple federal and state mortgage-backed securities actions stemming from the 2008 financial crisis.*
- Defending a nonprofit corporation in litigation involving allegations of breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
- Assisting companies in responding and objecting to third-party requests for information from federal agencies under the Freedom of Information Act.*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, "U.S. v. Panasonic Avionics Corp. — FCPA Enforcement Action Highlights Best Practices in Mitigating Third-Party Risk," BNA (June 1, 2018)
- Co-author, "Cryptocurrency Brings Rising International Risks," Law360 (May 11, 2018)
- Co-author, "SEC v. PlexCorps — Cyber Unit Enforcement Action Underscores Potential Challenges to Cross-Border Cryptocurrency Enforcement," Ropes & Gray Article (February 14, 2018)
- Co-author, "Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case," Law360 (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, "hiQ Labs, Inc. v. LinkedIn Corp.: A Federal Court Weighs in on Web Scraping, Free Speech Rights, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act," Ropes & Gray Alert (September 7, 2017)