Patrick J. Reinikainen
Patrick Reinikainen is an associate in the firm’s Litigation and Enforcement practice group. Patrick represents clients in civil and criminal government enforcement matters, complex litigation and appeals, and internal investigations. He also has experience advising companies on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, securities regulation, and data privacy and cybersecurity issues.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Patrick served as a law clerk for the Honorable Julio M. Fuentes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Thomas P. Griesa of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. While attending law school, Patrick interned for the Honorable John T. Curtin in U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York and the Honorable Gerald J. Whalen in New York State Supreme Court. He also served as an extern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, where he assisted federal prosecutors with violent and white collar criminal matters.
Patrick maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included assisting Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in the representation of criminal defendants in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the representation of a group of constitutional law professors as amici curiae in a case involving an issue of Presidential immunity.
White Collar Crime and Government Enforcement
- Representing individuals and companies across industries in criminal and civil proceedings brought by the SEC and DOJ.
- Advising private equity firms and hedge funds on the handling of regulatory examinations and investigations by the SEC.
- Defending financial institutions, hedge funds, and portfolio managers in connection with investigations by the SEC into alleged insider trading.
- Defending individuals and companies in connection with SEC and DOJ investigations into alleged violations of the FCPA, False Claims Act, and FIRREA.
- Assisting a company in responding to a civil antitrust inquiry by the DOJ in connection with a proposed merger.*
- Assisting companies in a wide variety of industries in responding to FINRA trading inquiries.
Anti-Corruption and International Risk
- Advising clients across industries on anti-corruption, export control, and trade sanctions due diligence in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and other major global transactions.
- Counseling multinational corporations on a wide variety of FCPA, sanctions, and anti-money laundering compliance issues.
- Assisting companies in the technology, life sciences, and food and beverage industries with the development of comprehensive anti-corruption training and compliance programs.
Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, and FinTech
- Advising companies on various data privacy and cybersecurity regulatory compliance matters and the development of effective compliance and training programs.
- Advising companies on a variety of FinTech issues, including potential regulatory, compliance, and litigation risks associated with alternative data, data monetization, and automated research tools.
- Counseling a major retail company in connection with litigation arising from a data security breach.
Complex Civil Litigation
- Representing a global investment bank as a member of litigation team that obtained full dismissal with prejudice of class action claims filed against the bank in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Defending a private equity firm in connection with investor litigation arising out of an international recapitalization transaction.
- Defending one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in multiple state and federal securities actions.*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “World Bank Group Debars Brazil-Based Odebrecht Subsidiary Amid Allegations of Fraudulent and Collusive Practices,” Ropes & Gray Alert (February 1, 2019)
- Co-author, “Cybersecurity's Developing Role In FCPA Compliance,” Law360 (January 11, 2019)
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Latin American Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2018)
- Co-author, “DOJ Deputy Attorney General Outlines Key Policy Revisions Focusing on Individual Accountability, Softening Yates Memo,” Ropes & Gray Alert (November 30, 2018)
- Co-author, “U.S. v. Panasonic Avionics Corp. — FCPA Enforcement Action Highlights Best Practices in Mitigating Third-Party Risk,” BNA (June 1, 2018)
- Co-author, “Cryptocurrency Brings Rising International Risks,” Law360 (May 11, 2018)
- Co-author, “SEC v. PlexCorps — Cyber Unit Enforcement Action Underscores Potential Challenges to Cross-Border Cryptocurrency Enforcement,” Ropes & Gray Article (February 14, 2018)
- Co-author, “Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case,” Law360 (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, “hiQ Labs, Inc. v. LinkedIn Corp.: A Federal Court Weighs in on Web Scraping, Free Speech Rights, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act,” Ropes & Gray Alert (September 7, 2017)
- Panelist, “How KYC/AML Regulation Changes are Shaping Cross-Border Transactions,” Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law – JILB Symposium on Foreign Direct Investment (February 15, 2019)