Patrick J. Reinikainen
Patrick Reinikainen is an associate in the firm’s Litigation and Enforcement practice group. Patrick represents companies and individuals in civil and criminal government enforcement matters, complex litigation and appeals, and internal investigations. He also has experience advising companies on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, securities regulation, and cybersecurity and data privacy issues.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Patrick served as a law clerk for the Honorable Julio M. Fuentes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Thomas P. Griesa of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. While attending law school, Patrick served as an extern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office, where he assisted federal prosecutors with cases involving both violent and financial crimes. He also interned for the Honorable John T. Curtin in U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York and the Honorable Gerald J. Whalen of the New York State Supreme Court.
Patrick maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included the representation of a criminal defendant facing bank fraud charges in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, a death row inmate on appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, and a group of distinguished law professors as amici curiae in a case involving a question of constitutional first impression.
White Collar Crime and Government Enforcement
- Representing individuals and companies across industries in criminal and civil proceedings brought by the SEC and DOJ.
- Advising private equity firms and hedge funds on the handling of regulatory examinations and investigations by the SEC.
- Defending financial institutions, hedge funds, and portfolio managers in connection with investigations by the SEC into alleged insider trading.
- Assisting a company in responding to a civil antitrust inquiry by the DOJ in connection with a proposed merger.*
- Representing a major financial institution in a DOJ investigation involving alleging securities fraud and violations of FIRREA.*
- Representing a major retail company in a DOJ investigation involving alleged violations of the False Claims Act.
- Assisting companies across industries in responding to FINRA trading inquiries.
Anti-Corruption and International Risk
- Representing companies and individuals in global SEC and DOJ investigations into alleged violations of the FCPA.
- Advising clients across industries on anti-corruption, export control, and trade sanctions due diligence in connection with mergers, acquisitions, and other major global transactions.
- Counseling multinational corporations on a wide variety of FCPA, sanctions, and anti-money laundering compliance issues.
- Assisting companies in the technology, life sciences, and food and beverage industries with the development of comprehensive anti-corruption training and compliance programs.
Data Privacy, Cybersecurity, and FinTech
- Counseling a major retail company in connection with litigation arising from a data security breach.
- Assisting companies in responding to cybersecurity incidents by investigating data breaches and responding to related litigation.
- Advising companies on various data privacy and cybersecurity regulatory compliance matters and the development of effective compliance and training programs.
- Advising companies on a variety of FinTech issues, including potential regulatory, compliance, and litigation risks associated with alternative data, data monetization, automated research tools, blockchain, and cryptocurrency.
Complex Civil Litigation
- Representing a global investment bank as a member of litigation team that obtained full dismissal with prejudice of class action claims filed against the bank in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Defending a private equity firm in connection with investor litigation arising out of an international recapitalization transaction.
- Defending one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in multiple state and federal securities actions.*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “Global Anti-Money Laundering: Investigations and Compliance Trends in the Fintech Era,” Bloomberg Law (June 12, 2019)
- Co-author, “Examining Transparency International’s 24th Annual Corruption Perception Index: Key Critiques and Takeaways,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 3, 2019)
- Co-author, “World Bank Group Debars Brazil-Based Odebrecht Subsidiary Amid Allegations of Fraudulent and Collusive Practices,” Ropes & Gray Alert (February 1, 2019)
- Co-author, “Cybersecurity's Developing Role In FCPA Compliance,” Law360 (January 11, 2019)
- Co-author, “Recent Developments in Latin American Anti-Corruption Enforcement,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2018)
- Co-author, “DOJ Deputy Attorney General Outlines Key Policy Revisions Focusing on Individual Accountability, Softening Yates Memo,” Ropes & Gray Alert (November 30, 2018)
- Co-author, “U.S. v. Panasonic Avionics Corp. — FCPA Enforcement Action Highlights Best Practices in Mitigating Third-Party Risk,” BNA (June 1, 2018)
- Co-author, “Cryptocurrency Brings Rising International Risks,” Law360 (May 11, 2018)
- Co-author, “SEC v. PlexCorps — Cyber Unit Enforcement Action Underscores Potential Challenges to Cross-Border Cryptocurrency Enforcement,” Ropes & Gray Article (February 14, 2018)
- Co-author, “Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case,” Law360 (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, “hiQ Labs, Inc. v. LinkedIn Corp.: A Federal Court Weighs in on Web Scraping, Free Speech Rights, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act,” Ropes & Gray Alert (September 7, 2017)
- Panelist, “How KYC/AML Regulation Changes are Shaping Cross-Border Transactions,” Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law – JILB Symposium on Foreign Direct Investment (February 15, 2019)