Patrick J. Reinikainen
Patrick Reinikainen is an associate in the firm’s litigation department. Patrick represents clients in complex litigation, civil and criminal government enforcement matters, and internal investigations. He also has experience advising companies on various regulatory compliance and risk management issues.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Patrick served as a law clerk for the Honorable Julio M. Fuentes of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Honorable Thomas P. Griesa of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. He also worked as an associate in the litigation department of another prominent international law firm, where he defended clients in high-stakes securities litigation and white collar investigations. While in law school, Patrick interned for the Honorable John T. Curtin in U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York and the Honorable Gerald J. Whalen in New York State Supreme Court. He also served as an extern for the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York, where he assisted federal prosecutors with violent crime and asset forfeiture matters.
Patrick maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included representing a group of constitutional law professors as amici curiae in a case involving an issue of Presidential immunity and assisting Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in the representation of a criminal defendant in federal court.
- Representing individuals, private equity firms, hedge funds, and large financial institutions in criminal and civil proceedings brought by the SEC and DOJ.
- Representing a private equity firm in investor litigation arising out of an international recapitalization transaction.
- Assisting a company in responding to a civil antitrust inquiry by the DOJ.*
- Advising on compliance and risk management issues and the handling of regulatory examinations and investigations by the SEC.
- Advising on the potential regulatory, litigation, and compliance risks associated with using automated research tools and acquiring alternative data.
- Conducting internal investigations for both public and private companies.
- Defending a financial advisor against allegations of aiding and abetting breach of fiduciary duty in shareholder litigation arising out of an international going private transaction.
- Defending one of the nation’s largest financial institutions in multiple federal and state mortgage-backed securities actions stemming from the 2008 financial crisis.*
- Assisting companies in responding to trading inquiries from FINRA.
- Assisting companies in responding and objecting to third-party requests for information from federal agencies under the Freedom of Information Act.*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, "SEC v. PlexCorps — Cyber Unit Enforcement Action Underscores Potential Challenges to Cross-Border Cryptocurrency Enforcement," Ropes & Gray Article (February 14, 2018)
- Co-author, "Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case," Law360 (January 10, 2018)
- Co-author, "hiQ Labs, Inc. v. LinkedIn Corp.: A Federal Court Weighs in on Web Scraping, Free Speech Rights, and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act," Ropes & Gray Alert (September 7, 2017)