Rob Roberts is a commercial and restructuring litigator. Rob’s practice encompasses a wide range of issues, with a focus on contested Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases, health care litigation, and advising private equity and venture capital firms regarding commercial disputes and pre-investment diligence.
Health Care Litigation
- Successfully represented a national pharmacy in a Massachusetts Attorney General investigation into prescription drug pricing.
- Representing hospitals, academic medical centers, and pharmaceutical companies in complex commercial disputes and False Claims Act litigation.
- Represented major pharmaceutical companies in False Claims Act litigation involving the offering of free nursing and reimbursement support services and successfully obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Represented Boston Children’s Hospital in defeating a challenge to a determination of need, brought by opponents of a much needed modernization and expansion project to build, among other things, a state-of-the-art NICU and heart center.
- Regularly represent private investment fund managers in responding to SEC and third party subpoenas.
- Represented leading private equity firm in COVID-related broken deal litigation in Delaware Chancery Court.
- Successfully moved to dismiss a private equity company from putative federal class action lawsuits related to the closure of a subsidiary of one of its portfolio companies, a for-profit law school.
- Representing private equity firms and their portfolio companies in complex commercial disputes, broken deal litigation, and pre-acquisition diligence.
- Advising leading venture capital firms on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and anti-corruption compliance.
- Representing Elliott Investment Management in the contested Chapter 11 restructuring of Windstream Holdings.
- Conducted investigation of potential related-party claims on behalf of the Special Committee of a Chapter 11 debtor.
- Represented 1.5 lien indenture trustee for $250 million of notes issued by Momentive Performance Materials following remand by the Second Circuit in precedent-setting litigation on the determination of cramdown interest rates in Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 case of Sabine Oil & Gas.
- Represented a hedge fund creditor in derivatives claims litigation in Lehman bankruptcy.
- Represented the Indenture Trustee for the First Lien Noteholders in the Chapter 11 restructuring of Energy Future Intermediate Holdings LLC.
- Defending the directors of insolvent companies in fiduciary duty litigation.
- Lead trial counsel in successful Chapter 11 reorganization of a historic African Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Assisting the Special Master appointed by the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in litigation related to addressing COVID-19 issues in state and counties prisons and jails.
- Co-supervising partner for the firm’s Medical Legal Partnership project, which has provided pro bono legal services to hundreds of Dorchester House patients.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2010; Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law
- AB (Economics), Princeton University, 2005
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2016
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2011