Zain U. Rehman
Zain is an associate in Ropes and Gray’s private equity and mergers and acquisitions groups in the New York office.
Zain’s practice focuses on representing private equity sponsors and other investment management funds as well as strategic clients in a broad range of transactions, including structuring, financing and negotiation of leveraged buyouts, U.S. and international public and private mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, divestitures, restructurings, leveraged recapitalizations, joint ventures and cross-border transactions. Zain’s practice also includes advising clients throughout the life cycle of their investments (including matters related to corporate governance, management equity, commercial arrangements and exit considerations). Additionally, he regularly counsels many of the world’s leading investment banks on financial advisory matters.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray in 2016, Zain was a mergers & acquisitions associate in the New York office of an international law firm.
- Advised Evergreen Coast Capital in its investment in WorkForce Software, a provider of cloud workforce management solutions to enterprise and mid-sized organizations.
- Advised Silver Lake Partners in its acquisition of Weld North Education, a leading digital education technology company focused on developing digital curriculum and tools for preK-12 students, and Weld North Education in its acquisition of Glynlyon, Inc., a digital curriculum company serving more than 1 million students in the institutional and consumer education markets.
- Advised the shareholders of Innovative Enterprises, Inc., a leading data service provider for the background screening industry, in their sale of the company to Appriss Safety, a provider of data analytics solutions.
- Advised HIG Capital in its acquisition of Digital Room, a leading online printing solutions provider serving the short-run web to print market, and Digital Room in its acquisition of Logo Sportswear, a leading e-commerce-driven provider of customized promotional merchandise.
- Advised Partners Group and Charlesbank Capital Partners on their acquisition of Hearthside Food Solutions, a producer of a broad range of nutrition bars, cookies, cereals and other snakes for some of the world’s premier food brands.
- Advised Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe and its portfolio company National Dentex, the largest network of dental labs by revenue in the United States, in the acquisition and integration of various dental labs across the United States.
- Advised EYP in its sale of substantially all of the assets of The Weidt Group, a leading energy analysis and consulting firm, to Willdan.
- Advised Elliott Management Corporation in its preferred equity PIPE to First Energy Corporation, one of the largest investor-owned electric systems in the United States.
- Advised Long Point Capital in its sale of CHA Consulting, a provider of design, engineering and consulting services, to First Reserve and the management of CHA Consulting.
- Advised Partners Group and its portfolio company United States Infrastructure Corporation (USIC) on USIC’s acquisition of On Target Utility Services, the largest underground utility locating company in New England.
- Advised LPL Financial, a leading retail investment advisory firm, in its acquisition of National Planning Holdings.
- Advised Bain Capital Credit in its structured investment in Gamblit Gaming, LLC, a publisher for real-money and skill based gaming for land based casinos.
- Advised Verisk Analytics, Inc. in the sale of its health care services business, Verisk Health, to Veritas Capital.*
- Advised Broad Street Principal Partners and Rhone Capital in their acquisition of Neovia Logistics, an integrated logistics service provider for companies facing complex logistical challenges, from Platinum Equity, LLC and Caterpillar, Inc.*
- Advised MSCI, Inc., in the sale of Institutional Shareholder Services, a leading independent provider of corporate governance tools, to Vestar Capital Partners.*
- Advised Crestview Partners in its acquisition of NYDJ Apparel, a prominent women’s denim apparel brands.*
- Advised PartnerRe Ltd., a global reinsurer providing multi-line insurance to insurance companies, in its proposed merger of equals with Axis Capital (which was later terminated), and its subsequent acquisition by Exor.*
- Advised as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide range of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- Sale of Caesars Entertainment to Eldorado (pending).
- Sale of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation to Chesapeake Energy Corporation.
- Sale of YuMe, Inc. to RhythmOne plc.
- Sale of Numerex Corp. to Sierra Wireless.
- Sale of Ixia to Keysight Technologies.
* Prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2012; James Kent Scholar; managing editor, Columbia Journal of Transnational Law
- BA (Mathematics and Economics), summa cum laude, Franklin & Marshall College, 2009; Phi Beta Kappa
- Visiting Student, Cambridge University, 2008
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2013
- New York Super Lawyers Rising Star (2020)