Cody Statum joined Ropes & Gray in January 2021 as an associate in the asset management practice at the firm’s Chicago office. He provides assistance on matters related to fund formation, operations, management and governance to a wide variety of clients, including private equity and real estate funds clients as well as registered funds and their boards. Cody has also provided pro bono assistance on international human trafficking legislative reform.
During law school, Cody was an associate editor for the University of Illinois Law Review, and interned at Aon, plc, where he worked on retirement plan advising and banking matters.
- Assisted a real estate funds firm with admitting several new investors on a tight, quarter-end timeline.
- Serves as independent trustee counsel to an ETF board of trustees; in this capacity, assists with preparing documents for board and committee meetings.
- Frequently works on drafting and/or reviewing entity formation documents, side letters, subscription agreements, and fund operating documents
- Implemented offering memorandum updates for a family of onshore funds for a large investment manager.
- Regularly updates agreements with administrator and custodian for a large investment manager.
- Cody Statum, “Yes, It Is Your Fault: Cracking Down on College Coaches and Administrators Who Ignore Abuse,” University of Illinois Law Review (October 26, 2020)
- JD, magna cum laude, University of Illinois College of Law, 2020; Harno Scholar; Dean’s List; Associate Editor, University of Illinois Law Review
- BS (Criminal Justice), Miami University, 2016; President’s List; Beccaria Award (Faculty-Nominated Departmental Award, 2015)
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2021