Edward H. Sadtler
Edward Sadtler is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s intellectual property and technology, media & telecommunications practice groups. Drawing on more than 20 years of experience, Edward guides leading companies and investors through strategic transactions involving valuable IP and technology assets.
Edward regularly works with companies on everything from licensing and collaborations to strategic alliances, technology transfers, joint ventures and other commercial agreements. He also counsels public companies, private companies and investors on the full range of IP, technology and data security issues that can arise in the context of mergers and acquisitions, carve-outs, investments, public offerings, and restructurings.
Edward has worked with clients across a wide range of industries, including technology and software, consumer brands, hospitality, telecommunications, energy, health care, investment management, private equity, and other financial services.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Edward was the head of the Intellectual Property, Sourcing & Technology group at another international law firm.
Software and Information Technology
- Represented a leading multinational fintech company in establishing a new technology services company, including the development of template agreements, negotiations with initial customers and the development of a negotiation strategy.*
- Represented a provider of video remote translation services in developing and negotiating customer agreements and implementing a location-based application.*
IP Licensing and Related IP Matters
- Advised a hair styling services company in structuring the sale of its hair care products business. Negotiated a long-term license and noncompetition agreement for use of the brand name and ongoing collaboration in marketing and brand development.*
- Advised a multinational consumer products company in negotiating ecommerce and promotional services agreements for unique online product offerings.*
- Represented a pet food company in structuring a long-term strategic partnership with a celebrity and celebrity foundation for a branded product line. Negotiated a long-term strategic trademark and publicity rights license, a promotional services and noncompetition agreement, and security agreements to guarantee the license obligations.*
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Represented a New York-based private equity firm in its carve-out acquisition of certain businesses of a producer of proprietary caps and closures. Provided strategic advice on licensing and allocation of patents, trademarks, trade secrets and know-how across jurisdictions and fields of use. Negotiated a long-term strategic agreement for cross-licensing of IP, access to future developments and supply of specialized manufacturing equipment.*
- Represented a New York-based private equity firm in its multi-billion-dollar acquisition of a provider of end-to-end technology solutions for the healthcare industry. Advised on complex IT separation issues and in rebranding of the business.*
- Represented a leading hotel company in its separation into two separate publicly traded hospitality companies. Provided advice on allocation of trademark, information technology, data and other IP assets, including negotiation of a long-term global trademark license and noncompetition agreement and a loyalty program services arrangement.*
Cybersecurity and Data Privacy
- Advised a Chinese fintech company on privacy law issues related to the development and launch of a new payment application permitting users to transmit funds from the United States to China.*
- Advised financial services clients on a broad range of other cybersecurity and privacy law matters, including preparation of privacy notices, development of cybersecurity policies and response to data breaches.*
*Handled prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Cited, “Skilled in the Art: IP Laterals,” Law.com (January 14, 2022)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Lands IP Attorneys in New York, San Francisco,” Law.com, New York Law Journal, and The Recorder (January 11, 2022)
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1999
- BA, cum laude, with departmental honors, Columbia University, 1996
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2000
- The Legal 500 United States (2015-2019)
- Best LGBT Attorneys Under 40, National LGBT Bar Association (2013)
- Lawyers Who Lead by Example, New York Law Journal (2011)
- Safe Haven Award, Immigration Equality (2014, 2017)
- Above & Beyond Award, Sanctuary for Families (2005)