Erin L. Stewart
Erin Stewart joined Ropes & Gray’s Washington D.C. office in 2021 as an associate in the litigation & enforcement practice group. Erin’s practice includes government and internal investigations across a variety of industries involving various government agencies. She also advises clients on compliance risks and conducts pre- and post-acquisition due diligence in M&A transactions. Erin’s practice also includes complex commercial litigation in federal court.
Erin maintains an active pro bono practice, representing asylum applicants, advising on matters related to Social Security disability benefits, and assisting the Michigan State Appellate Defender’s Office with juvenile re-sentencing efforts.
During law school, Erin served as a Legal Research and Writing Fellow, a Senior Writing Fellow, and the academic chair of the Women’s Legal Alliance. Erin also placed second in the 2020 Iron Tech Lawyer Competition by developing the Expungement Eligibility Advisor web application to assist Tennessee residents in determining their eligibility for criminal record expungement.
- Represents a major clothing manufacturer in connection with multiple consumer class actions alleging fraudulent and deceptive trade practices.
- Represents various universities and academic institutions in conducting internal investigations and responding to government inquiries related to allegations of “foreign influence” and research misconduct.
- Assists private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in identifying, assessing, and mitigating corruption, sanctions, and money-laundering risks related to various transactions and investments.
- Assisted with a policies and practices review for a high-profile association, which informed its efforts to implement a comprehensive multi-year diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy.
- Conducted a proactive review of a major pharmaceutical company’s U.S. policies and practices and advised on various compliance risks.
- Conducted an internal investigation of a biotechnology company into whistleblower claims regarding potential securities violations in connection with vaccine manufacturing and trials.
- Assisted with an internal investigation of a pharmaceutical company into whistleblower reports regarding possible violations of the FCPA, securities laws, and employment laws.
- Contributor, “Costa Rica Enacts Corporate Criminal Liability for Acts of Bribery; Enforcement May Soon Follow,” Ropes & Gray Alert (October 4, 2019)
- JD, magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 2020; Order of the Coif
- BA, summa cum laude, University of South Carolina, 2017; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2021