Katharine Scott joined Ropes & Gray’s business restructuring group in 2021 from a boutique New York bankruptcy firm. Her practice focuses on all aspects of corporate restructuring, bankruptcy, insolvency, and related litigation, including advising public and private companies, boards, trustees, creditors, and other parties in interest in chapter 11 cases. She also advises financial sponsors and distressed investors in complex out-of-court liability management transactions and distressed acquisitions. Katharine’s experience spans a broad range of industries, including shipping, health care, news & media, technology, retail, aviation, and real estate. She was recently selected as a 2021 “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers. In law school, she served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Sean H. Lane for the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York.
- Representing amici curiae law professors in connection with their submission to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in the Purdue Pharma chapter 11 cases.
- Advised Vewd Software USA, LLC and certain of its affiliates in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. Vewd is a market leader in enabling the transition from cable, broadcast, and satellite television platforms to over-the-top video streaming services. Vewd’s Chapter 11 plan of reorganization was supported by 100% of its secured lenders and resulted in the exchange of over $100 million of secured debt claims for 100% of the equity of reorganized Vewd Software AS and the payment in full of all unsecured creditors. Under the plan of reorganization certain of Vewd’s existing secured lenders also agreed to provide $25 million of exit financing and up to $20 million pursuant to a preferred stock issuance to provide substantial liquidity support for the reorganized company.
- Represented PlayMonster LLC, a market leading international toy and game company, in connection with its investment transactions with Adams Street Partners and HIG Capital.
- Counseled LATAM Airlines Group and its affiliates in Chile, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, and the United States in the voluntary reorganization and restructuring of their debt under Chapter 11 protection in the United States.*
- Represented The McClatchy Company and its 54 affiliated debtors, a 163-year-old family-controlled public company that provided independent local journalism to 30 communities in 14 states through its local newspapers, including well-respected publications such as the Miami Herald, The Kansas City Star, The Sacramento Bee, The Charlotte Observer, The (Raleigh) News & Observer, and the (Fort Worth) Star-Telegram, as well as national news coverage through its Washington, D.C. bureau, in restructuring approximately $1.6 billion in debt through chapter 11; led process of objecting to and resolving over $4 billion in claims.*
- Advised Trident Holding Company, LLC, the leading national provider of bedside diagnostic and related services in the United States operating in 35 states, and 22 of its affiliates in the restructuring of approximately $700 million in liabilities in its chapter 11 proceeding.*
- Represented Aurora Commercial Corp. debtors (Lehman Brothers loan servicer) in connection with their chapter 11 cases and wind down; assisted in (i) reducing claims pool from appx. $343 million to $42K by successfully litigating twenty-six claim objections, and (ii) confirming fully consensual plan that provided for payment in full for all allowed claims.*
- Counseled Toisa Limited and its 23 affiliated debtors, a diversified and international shipping business, in its chapter 11 case involving the restructuring of more than $1 billion in liabilities; assisted with the sales of the debtors’ fleet consisting of 20 oceangoing vessels, 26 offshore vessels, and construction contracts for six vessels, for total proceeds exceeding $550 million.*
Representations denoted with an asterisk were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2018; Dean’s Merit Scholarship
- BA (Political Science), University of California, San Diego, 2013; Provost Honors
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York