Michael A. Szkodzinski
Michael Szkodzinski is temporarily on a full-time Client Secondment.
Michael Szkodzinski is counsel in the firm’s hedge funds group. His practice focuses on fund formation and ongoing fund advice for hedge funds, credit funds and private investment funds. Mike has extensive experience in representing investment advisers and investment companies in connection with regulatory, securities and transactional matters in both the registered and private investment funds areas. Mike also has deep knowledge of issues related to the CFTC and cross-border compliance programs, as well as in the formation and structuring of hybrid/private equity opportunity funds and negotiating ISDA and prime brokerage agreements.
Prior to rejoining Ropes & Gray in 2017, Mike spent several years within the legal teams of a number of premier investment managers. Mike’s comprehensive involvement in practical, day-to-day operations includes fund launches, mergers, ongoing compliance and broad oversight of regulatory issues.
In addition to his in-house roles, Mike was an associate in Ropes & Gray’s investment management group from 2003 to 2007 and then again from 2008 to 2011.
- Counselling managers, traders and chief compliance officer on trading limits, investment compliance, and disclosure requirements for public market transactions across North America, Europe and Asia.*
- Guiding fund managers and traders on strategies pertaining to shareholder activism.*
- Design and launch of new funds and fund repositionings, with an emphasis on fixed income products.*
- Advising on the Investment Company Act and other regulatory and transactional issues for special situations transactions (private placements, restructuring transactions and corporate actions).*
- Guiding hedge fund clients on negotiation and documentation of purchases of Lehman Brothers bankruptcy claims, and investment management clients with derivatives and other claims against various U.S. Lehman Brothers entities.
- Organization of new products and reorganizations, including fund despoking, master-feeder fund re-arrangements, funds redomicilliation, fund mergers, fund credit agreements and rights offerings.*
- Organization of a registered fund of hedge funds; negotiation of custodian, transfer agent, sub-administration and securities lending contracts; and planned internal restructuring of an investment adviser and “no change of control” opinions under Rule 2a-6.
- Navigating mergers and acquisitions within the asset management industry.
- Form ADV filings, marketing rules compliance, implementation of Form PF, Form 13F, and negotiating ISDA Master Agreements and prime brokerage agreements.*
- Advising on CFTC issues related to potential new products and strategies (maintaining exemptions from commodity pool operator and commodity trading advisor registration).*
Matters completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray*