Robert M. Schmidt
Rob Schmidt is a member of the firm’s asset management group. Rob’s practice focuses on representing registered investment companies, their independent trustees and investment advisers in regulatory, transactional and compliance matters. He regularly advises with respect to the development, registration and operation of fund products, including the preparation and review of disclosure in offering documents and shareholder communications, and with respect to the ongoing representation of registered funds’ boards of trustees. He has also advised on and/or negotiated fund reorganizations and other corporate transactions involving funds and fund advisers, including mergers and acquisitions of advisers and borrowings under debt facilities of various types.
Prior to law school, Rob worked primarily in the finance industry, including several years as an associate at a private equity firm affiliated with a major investment bank. During law school, Rob was an intern with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and was involved with a legal clinic that provided representation to children in Connecticut’s child welfare system.
- Represents Allianz Global Investors and several of its subsidiaries in a variety of corporate, regulatory and compliance matters.
- Represents Artisan Funds and its board of directors in a variety of corporate, regulatory and compliance matters.
- Works on a variety of matters for John Hancock Funds.
- Represented AllianzGI Diversified Income & Convertible Fund in its initial public offering and subsequent private placement of senior notes and preferred stock.
- Advised TPG Real Estate, the real estate platform of TPG, on 1940 Act compliance matters related to its purchase of a 75% stake in a $2.5B portfolio of high-yield commercial real estate loans from Deutsche Bank’s special situations group.
- JD, Yale Law School, 2013
- AB (Classics), magna cum laude, Princeton University, 2003; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2013