Adam Stella helps companies, investors, fund sponsors and executives solve and plan for complicated executive compensation, benefits and ERISA issues.
Adam’s practice focuses on benefits aspects of mergers and acquisitions and initial public offerings, executive compensation matters generally and Title I of ERISA. His experience spans a wide range of industries, including technology, life sciences, retail and consumer products and business services. In executive compensation matters, he advises public companies, private equity sponsors and private equity and venture-backed companies, as well as executives and management teams.
Adam routinely negotiates executive employment agreements, stock option, profits interest and other equity incentive plans and awards, cash incentive bonus arrangements, LLC agreements and subscription agreements, retention agreements and separation agreements. Adam also works with reporting companies to meet securities law disclosure requirements related to executive compensation. Adam also reviews ERISA aspects of private investment fund formation and investment.
- Represents TPG Capital in connection with private equity transactions, including its investments in McAfee, Wind River, Entertainment Partners and Anastasia Beverly Hills and the sale of Eze Software to SS&C.
- Represented Tesaro in its $5.1 billion sale to GlaxoSmithKline (NYSE: GSK).
- Represented Altamont Capital Partners in its acquisition of Publicis Healthcare Solutions and the sale of Omniplex World Services to Constellis, a portfolio company of Apollo Global Management, LLC.
- Represented Gauge Capital in connection with its investments in irth Solutions, Schlesinger Global, TVC Enterprises and Teachers of Tomorrow.
- Represented Golden Gate Capital in connection with its $1.2 billion investment in Ensemble Health Partners.
- Represented Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in connection with its investment in Shields Health Solutions.
- Advised a senior executive in connection with transition matters related to a separation from employment and new private investment fund formation.
- Advises pre-IPO venture-backed companies in connection with executive compensation matters.
- Provides advice with private equity and hedge fund regarding internal executive compensation matters.
- Provides executive compensation advice to executives and management teams in connection with private equity and M&A transactions, new opportunities and separations.
- Represented Shire plc (NASDAQ:SHPG) in its $32 billion acquisition of Baxalta Inc (NYSE: BXLT).
- Represents Party City Holdco Inc. (NYSE:PRTY) in connection with executive compensation matters.
- Represents Cambrex Corporation (NYSE: CBM) in connection with executive compensation matters.
- Represented IMS Health (now IQvia) in connection with its initial public offering.
- Represents investment managers regarding issues relating to exemption from and compliance with ERISA.
- Represented Wright Medical Group Inc. (NASDAQ:WMGI) in connection with executive compensation and benefits matters relating to its $3.3 billion stock-for-stock merger with Tornier N.V. (NASDAQ:TRNX).
- Represented Symmetry Medical Inc. in connection with the sale of its OEM Solutions business to Tecomet for $450 million in cash and its spin off of Symmetry Surgical Inc. (NASDAQ:SSRG).
- Represented Genzyme Corp. in connection with its $20.1 billion sale to Sanofi-Aventis S.A.
- Co-author, “Will Non-U.S. Executive Pay Leave U.S. Taxpayers Feeling GILTI?” Tax Notes (May 13, 2019)
- Co-author, "Release Us From Confusion Over ERISA Fiduciary Claims," 37 Pension & Benefits Reporter (BNA) 647 (2010)
- Meredith Laitner, Adam Stella, and Madeline Zamoyski, "Green Building City Survey," 11 New York University Journal of Legislation and Public Policy 81 (2008)
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2008
- BA, Honors in Political Science, Brown University, 2005; Philo Sherman Bennett Prize