Alexander B. Simkin
Alexander Simkin is a trial lawyer and problem solver who represents corporate clients through all stages of complex commercial litigation, from pre-litigation advisory services through trial and appeal. He has tried cases before juries, judges and arbitrators on behalf of plaintiffs and defendants and has appeared in federal and state courts across the country. He devotes a significant part of his practice to representing financial institutions, including those involved in private equity, banking, insurance and other financial services.
Clients have described Alex as an advocate with a unique ability to digest complicated problems and provide practical advice. Judges and juries also appreciate his thoughtful and straight-forward approach.
Alex has represented financial institutions including AIG, AmTrust, Berkshire Hathaway, Nationwide, Park Hill Group, Stonepeak Infrastructure Partners, Travelers and Utica National, as well as private equity portfolio companies, individual directors and officers, and other corporate or institutional clients such as Dillard’s Directors, Georgetown Company, Lehman Brothers’ Officers, the Police Benevolent Association of the City of New York, and Qimonda.
Alex is also actively involved with pro bono legal services. He has represented a victim of sexual assault in a SDNY jury trial, a community garden in a land dispute, as well as clients in housing and family courts.
- Representing a multinational financial services firm and its portfolio companies in matters concerning contractual, fraud, and securities litigation.
- Representing the Police Benevolent Association of the City of New York in high-profile Article 78 proceedings challenging the public release of confidential police officer information, as well as in a significant amicus submission to the New York Court of Appeals.
- Represented a multinational financial services firm in connection with securities litigation arising from its IPO.*
- Represented Lehman Brothers’ Officers in a variety of securities litigations arising from the company’s collapse.
- Represented AIG in in a dispute with a Fortune 100 company concerning coverage for a high profile defamation settlement under multiple professional liability policies.*
- Represented AIG in a dispute with a Fortune 100 company concerning coverage for a significant settlement of an antitrust lawsuit under an employment practices liability policy.*
- Representing Nationwide in a dispute with Platinum Partners and several of its executives concerning coverage under a D&O policy.*
- Representing AmTrust in a dispute with a managing general agent concerning issues arising from a taxi and limousine insurance program.*
- Representing AIG in a dispute with a Fortune 500 company concerning coverage for an ERISA lawsuit under a fiduciary liability policy.*
- Represented numerous insurance and reinsurance companies in a wide range of matters, including defending challenges to certain insurance practices or lines, insurance-related consumer class action defense, and representing cedents or reinsurers in reinsurance disputes under facultative and treaty reinsurance.*
*Representations completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “Insurance Coverage Questions Raised by Modern Public Nuisance Claims,” New Appleman on Insurance: Current Critical Issues in Insurance Law
- JD, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2006
- BA, magna cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 2003