Alice Sun is an associate in the finance group at Ropes & Gray. She focuses on cross-border financing transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Alice trained and qualified as an associate in the Hong Kong office of an international law firm with a focus on real estate financing, asset and property management, direct and indirect commercial and residential property investments.
- Advised Bain Capital, as controlling consortium member, in connection with the approximately $18 billion (2 trillion yen) acquisition and approximately $14 billion (1.5 trillion yen) acquisition and other financing for Toshiba Memory that was sold as a competitive auction. This transaction was awarded the 2018 "Japan Deal of the Year", "M&A Deal of the Year" and the "Technology, Media & Telecommunications Deal of the Year" by the ALB, the M&A deal of the year for North Asia by the Asia Legal Awards, and received standout recognition for innovation in managing complexity and scale by the Financial Times.
- Advised Kioxia Holdings Corporation, a world leader in memory products and solutions, in its acquisition of the SSD business, primarily located in Taiwan, from LITE-ON Technology Corporation.
- Advised Bain Capital in connection with the leveraged tender offer for Nichii Gakkan, which valued the company at approximately $1.2 billion.
- Advised Bain Capital in connection with the approximately $875 million acquisition of Showa Aircraft.
- Advised Bain Capital in connection with the leveraged tender offer for Kirindo, which valued the company at approximately $380 million.
- Advised Bain Capital in connection with the approximately $1.4 billion leveraged tender offer buyout of Asatsu DK.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia on the financing-related elements in connection with its $1 billion+ acquisition of Lumenis.
- Advised BidFair on the financing-related elements in connection with its $3.7 billion acquisition of Sotheby’s.
- Advised Alibaba on certain financing aspects in relation to its $1.4 billion take-private of iKang Healthcare.
- Advised global private equity sponsors in relation to margin loan transactions involving companies listed in Hong Kong and India.
- Advised a global investment bank on a $200 million syndicated loan facility secured by a PRC commercial property.*
- Advised a bank in the $75 million limited recourse financing of a commercial property in Suzhou.*
- Advised Beijing State-Owned Assets Management Co., Ltd on its debut offering of $1 billion dual tranche bonds.*
- Advised a global investment management company on the disposal of an office building in Shanghai.*
- Advised CPPIB on the acquisition of an interest in a mixed use real estate development project in China from Longfor (listed in Hong Kong) as well as the subsequent joint venture and related financing arrangements.*
- Advised Fingen Group on its share transfer to, and formation of, an outlet fund jointly established by Henderson Property fund, Harvard Fund, Gaw Capital and Fingen Group, involving one existing and two potential outlets in China.*
- Advised CBRE Global Investors on the disposal of certain property assets in China.*
- Assisted AEW Asia on the disposal of a Hong Kong company, which holds a serviced apartment block with commercial space in Hong Kong.*
- Advised a UAE asset management company on the acquisition of a Maldives resort through a holding structure that resides in the BVI.*
- Advised a Chinese state-owned asset management company on the acquisition and development of a Maldives resort through a holding structure that resides in the BVI including entering into a joint venture arrangement with a local Maldives entity.*
*Completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, City University of Hong Kong, 2014
- GDLP, Australian National University, 2013
- Bachelor of Commerce, University of Sydney, 2012
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Sydney, 2012
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2017