Arefa is counsel in the firm’s litigation practice. Arefa advises companies and individuals on a variety of securities enforcement and regulatory matters. She is currently on assignment to the London office.
Arefa has substantial experience running internal, SEC, and DOJ investigations in matters involving financial fraud, corruption, and international risk. Arefa regularly assists companies on securities matters before the SEC, CFTC, and SROs. Arefa also frequently works with clients across various sectors to identify and mitigate risk. She works with investors and companies to develop and implement compliance programs and conduct monitoring with respect to corruption and related international risks. She conducts diligence and negotiates terms with respect to corruption and international risk in private equity investments, mergers, acquisitions, and financing transactions.
- Represented an investment adviser in an SEC investigation regarding compliance with the ’40 Act and Advisers Act and related regulations.
- Represented a bulge bracket bank in a CME arbitration alleging improper trading practices, ultimately obtaining a favorable verdict which was entirely upheld upon appeal.
- Conducted internal investigations and reported to the SEC and DOJ on behalf of a multinational medical device company regarding alleged Foreign Corrupt Practice Act violations in Central and South America.
- Represented a large financial institution in SEC and DOJ FCPA investigation involving conduct and transactions in the Middle East.
- Represented an individual in a government investigation of potential violations of the FCPA in South America.
- Represented an individual in a government investigation of potential violations of the FCPA in India.
- Represented individuals under investigation by the SEC for insider trading.
- Conducted anti-corruption risk assessments for several multinational companies.
- Developed and implemented anti-corruption compliance programs for companies with operations in high risk countries.
- Conducted FCPA acquisition diligence pre and post deal on behalf of private equity firms and strategic buyers.
- Successfully pursued an asylum claim on behalf of the National Immigrant Justice Center for a Syrian refugee.
- Challenged a decision by the Illinois Department of Human Services to suspend food stamps for an individual following a reporting error before the Chancery Division of the Circuit Court of Cook County, obtaining a full reversal of the Department’s decision.
- Co-author, “SEC Announces Two Enforcement Actions Alleging Investment Advisers Inflated Performance,” Wolters Kluwer’s Securities Regulation Daily (June 11, 2018)
- Co-author, “Self-Reporting to the Authorities and Other Disclosure Obligations: The US Perspective,” Global Investigations Review’s The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations (January 2017)
- Kirsten Mayer, Amanda Raad, Elena Glas and Arefa Shakeel, "Facing FCPA Charges In Foreign Countries," Law360 (January 2012)