Beibei advises public and private companies, investors and institutions in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and technology industries in transactions involving corporate and intellectual property matters, including licensing and collaboration, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, technology transfer, equity financing, and other strategic commercial transactions. Beibei is a native Chinese (Mandarin) speaker and has passed the National Bar Examination of P.R. China. She regularly advises her clients on China-related transactions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Beibei interned with the Patent Cooperation Treaty Division of World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in Geneva, Switzerland. Beibei was a leading member of the legal team at Creative Commons China Mainland. She is currently a board member of GHIAA, a think tank institute based in Durham, NC, which aims to facilitate global health care consortium formation and find legal solutions to most effectively confront public health crisis. Beibei also maintains an active pro bono practice, focusing on asylum and other immigration matters.
Life Sciences Strategic Transactions
- Represented Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited in a collaboration and license agreement worth up to $900M with Turnstone Biologics directed towards the development and commercialization of a leading oncolytic candidate.
- Advised Blueprint Medicines Corporation in connection with an exclusive collaboration and license agreement with CStone Pharmaceuticals, a China-based clinical stage biopharmaceutical company, concerning the development and commercialization of three investigational cancer therapies in mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan. At the time of its completion, this transaction was the largest investigational cancer therapeutic licensing deal ever done in China.
- Advised Zai Lab Limited, a leading biopharmaceutical company in China, in its exclusive license agreement with Five Prime Therapeutics, Inc., for FPA144 Anti-FGFR2b antibody in Greater China and global strategic development collaboration.
- Advised Zai Lab Limited in its collaboration and license agreement with Entasis Therapeutics Holdings, Inc., under which Zai Lab obtained exclusive rights to develop and commercialize Entasis’s proprietary compounds known as ETX2514 and ETX2514SUL in mainland China and several other Asian countries, as well as Australia and New Zealand.
- Represented a non-profit research institution entering into innovative sponsored research arrangement with a leading venture capital firm, including options for revenue sharing and development vehicle spin-outs.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented Eli Lilly and Company in connection with the divestiture of its China rights for two legacy antibiotic drugs to Eddingpharm Pharmaceuticals, a Shanghai-based distributor of pharmaceutical products, which was honored by China Business Law Journal as a “2019 Deal of the Year.”
- Represented a leading global pharmaceutical company in the acquisition of assets related to tissue ablation technology.
- Represented a leading global pharmaceutical company in the divestiture of its U.S. and Canadian rights to a drug franchise and related assets.
- Advised Bain Capital LLC, TPG Capital, L.P., Advent International Cooperation, Berkshire Partners and other private equity firms with respect to intellectual property matters in connection with their investment in the healthcare, technology, consumer product and entertainment sectors.
Emerging Company Clients
- Advised Sigilon Therapeutics in connection with its Series A financing as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Advised LogicBio Therapeutics in connection with various licensing and collaboration matters.
- Co-author, “Building a Better Mousetrap: A Physician’s Guide to Commercializing a Medical Device Invention,” American Health Lawyers Journal of Health & Life Sciences Law (October 2018)
- Co-author, “Emerging Global Trends in Standard-Essential Patent Litigation, Part II,” Bloomberg Law’s Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal (June 22, 2018)
- Co-author, “Emerging Global Trends in Standard-Essential Patent Litigation, Part I,” Bloomberg Law’s Big Law Business (June 15, 2018)
- Presenter, “Doing Business in China: IP and Transactional Considerations,” International IP Summit, Boston College Law School (October 17-18, 2019)
- Moderator, “Roundtable Discussion on Best Practices for Strategic Initiatives in China,” International IP Summit, Boston College Law School (October 17-18, 2019)
- Presenter, “The Anti-Kickback Statute and Capital Placement Agreements,” annual conference for a global medical device company (November 8, 2018)
- Presenter, “Corporate Law and Transactions 101 for Life Sciences Entrepreneurs,” 2018 Chinese-American Biomedical Association (CABA) Investment and Entrepreneurship Symposium (September 29, 2018)
- Presenter, “Model Agreement Provisions for Global Health Alliances Workshop,” Marshall Gerstein & Borun LLP, Chicago (October 4, 2016)
- Moderator, “Alliance Formation for Emergency Infectious Disease Outbreaks,” Global Healthcare Innovation Alliance, Duke University (November 18, 2015)
- JD, magna cum laude, Duke University School of Law, 2016; Global Leader Scholar 2013; Pro Bono All-Star 2014; Award for Outstanding Achievement in IP and Technology Law 2016
- LLM (Intellectual Property Law), with honors, Renmin University of China, School of Law, 2013
- LLB, with highest honors, Nanjing Normal University, 2011; With two-year course work in computer science