Catherine Skulan is counsel in the asset management group. Catherine focuses on advising global asset management and private equity firms on fund formation, as well as ongoing operational and compliance matters. Catherine also has substantial experience in the formation of private equity funds, including pan-Asia, and China-focused private equity funds; real estate funds; special situations and distressed investment funds; and co-investment and side-car vehicles.
Catherine has played a leading role in engagements on behalf of some of the industry’s most sophisticated players, representing both sponsors and placement agents in placement agent agreement negotiations, and she has advised on the participation of investment bank-sponsored feeder funds into a variety of asset classes.
She has also advised on managed accounts for global asset management firms and negotiated investments for fund of funds clients. In addition, she advises sponsor clients on structuring investments, fund compliance issues, and joint venture arrangements.
- Altamont Capital
- Dragoneer Investment Group
- Strategic Value Partners
- Adams Street Partners
- Co-author, “The Challenge of Credit,” Private Funds Management Yearbook 2017 (November 22, 2017)
- Quoted, “Carry data disclosure demand spreads,” Private Equity International (May 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “More States Push for Private Equity Fee Disclosure,” FundFire (February 1, 2017)
- Co-author, “Squaring the letter of California's new fee disclosure law with the realities of alternative investment funds,” Pensions & Investments (December 28, 2016)
- Co-author, “Best practice: Considerations in the face of California’s new fee disclosure law,” HFM Investor Relations (October 28, 2016)
- Quoted, “California’s New Disclosure Requirements Will Force Alternative Managers to Weigh Pros and Cons of Managing Assets for State’s Pension Plans, Hedge Fund LCD (October 6, 2016)
- Co-author, “California’s New Alternative Investment Fee Disclosure Bill,” The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (October 3, 2016)
- Co-author, “SEC Director Speaks on Spreading Sunshine in Private Equity,” VC Experts (2014)
- Co-author, “Out of Sync,” International Financial Law Review (December/January 2011)
- Author, “Australia’s Mandatory Detention of ‘Unauthorized’ Asylum Seekers: History, Politics and Analysis under International Law,” Georgetown Immigration Law Journal (Fall 2006)
- Moderator, “Investor Relations and Performance Reporting,” Private Investment Fund Operations and Compliance Forum West (July 25-26, 2017)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2006
- MA (Law), University of Tokyo, 2003; Japanese Ministry of Education Scholarship
- BA (Law), University of Tokyo, 2001; Japanese Ministry of Education Scholarship