Chris S. Shim
Chris Shim joined Ropes & Gray in 2016 as an associate in the tax and benefits department. Chris regularly advises private fund managers and institutional investors on tax issues relating to the formation and operation of private equity funds, hedge funds, credit funds and real estate funds, and investments therein. Chris also advises private equity and other clients on the federal income tax aspects of mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and other transactional tax matters, including debt and equity issuances.
During law school, Chris was a judicial intern to the Honorable Susan G. Braden on the U.S. Court of Federal Claims and a law clerk at the U.S. Senate Committee on Finance.
- Represented Eversource in its agreement to purchase the Massachusetts natural gas assets of Columbia Gas for $1.1 billion from NiSource.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its $720 million sale of Innovative Aftermarket Systems (IAS) to iA Financial Group.
- Represented Silver Lake Partners in a $319 million strategic investment round in Vacasa, North America’s largest vacation rental management platform.
- Represented TPG Growth’s global impact fund, The Rise Fund, in its investment in EverFi, a leading provider of subscription-based digital learning to K-12 schools, universities, corporations, sports teams
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its agreement to acquire Accela and advised the resulting portfolio company in subsequent transactions, including the sale of the assets and operations of the company’s Legislative Management business to a cloud-based software provider.
- Represented Altice USA on $6.75 billion refinancing in connection with the combination of its Suddenlink and Optimum credit groups under a single credit silo. Ropes & Gray was awarded the Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year at the Legal Week Transatlantic Awards in connection with its representation of Altice USA in this transaction.
- Represented Servpro Industries, LLC, a portfolio company of The Blackstone Group Inc., in its $510 million whole-business securitization.
- Represented Domino’s Pizza, Inc. in the follow-on issuance of $875 million fixed rate and variable funding securitized notes under its whole-business securitization.
Chris represents the following clients in fund formation and operation matters:
- Altamont Capital Partners
- Angelo Gordon & Company
- Kohlberg & Company
- Metropolitan Real Estate Partners
- LLM (Taxation), Georgetown University Law Center, 2015
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2015
- BA (Music Composition), cum laude, New York University, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2016