Ed is a partner in our corporate general group and heads our Asia real estate investment and finance practice. He has an intricate knowledge of the Asia real estate market, having spent considerable time in Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong. He advises clients on real estate investment and finance matters in Asia, with a focus on China and Japan.
Ed has extensive experience in acquisitions and dispositions, private equity and institutional investments, limited recourse and secured financings, joint ventures, co-investment platforms, non-performing loans, REITs, asset and property management, sale-leasebacks, restructurings, and general transaction structuring.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Ed was a partner at a major international firm and a member of the commercial real estate lending team of an international bank in Japan.
- Advised a global real estate private equity investment fund in the formation of a joint venture logistics platform with a leading international real estate investment manager with respect to the acquisition of logistics properties across China, as well as the joint venture’s follow-on investments and financings.
- Advised a global banking institution in multiple limited recourse financings of commercial properties in mainland China and Hong Kong including, among others, (i) a US$600 million onshore/offshore financing of an office property in Beijing; (ii) a HK$6+ billion financing of a property in Hong Kong; and (iii) a RMB300 million construction financing of a property in Chengdu.
- Advised a global real estate private equity investment fund in its minority investment into a portfolio of residential properties in Japan.
- Advised a global real estate investment company in the disposition of its interest in an India logistics platform.
- Advised a global bank in the financing of several portfolios of PRC non-performing loans.
- Advised a Singapore developer on the formation of its PRC real estate debt fund.
- Advised a leading global alternative investment manager in its US$475+ million offshore financing of a property in Hong Kong.
- Advised a global credit fund in its mezzanine debt and warrant investment into a Korean casino resort development.
- A sovereign wealth investor as majority senior noteholder in a US$3.3 billion deferrable senior secured tranche A note financing of The Center, reportedly the priciest office trade ever at the time. Named “Debt Market Deal of the Year” by ALB Hong Kong Law Awards, 2018.
- Advised a global real estate private equity investment fund in its co-investment into a Grade A office building in the PRC with a leading regional real estate investment manager.
- Advised a Singaporean multinational bank in its subscription facility for a global asset management firm’s Asia real estate fund.
- Advised a global real estate private equity investment platform in its joint venture with a leading international real estate manager for the acquisition and financing of a cold storage facility in China.
- Advised a sovereign wealth investor in a HK$6.8 billion senior financing of a Grade A office in Hong Kong.
- Advised a global independent asset management firm in a net asset value facility for one of its Asia real estate funds.
- Advised a global insurance company on structuring real estate investments across Asia.
- Advised the manager of Spring REIT in a US$500+ million financing of a property in Beijing, and the refinancing thereof.
- Advised a private equity fund in the disposition of its interest in a Japan hotel portfolio.
- JD, University of Toronto Faculty of Law, 1995
- BComm, McGill University, 1990