Elizabeth Julia Smith
Elizabeth Julia Smith is an associate in the Litigation and Enforcement group, where she has practiced since 2009. Elizabeth has a range of experience in complex commercial disputes, tax controversies, antitrust counseling, and securities enforcement matters. She has represented clients in class action lawsuits, as well as appeared on their behalf before governmental agencies. Elizabeth has experience in several industries including energy, telecommunications, private investments, health care, transportation, and technology.
- Achieved a complete victory in a multi-million dollar dispute over local taxes for a multinational energy company before the Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board.
- Counseled a leading cable company in two multi-million dollar antitrust litigations involving claims of unlawful tying and achieved resolution of both cases on favorable terms.
- Represented insurers in a multi-district litigation involving RICO and state law class action claims.
- Advised several health care clients in multiple matters, including in antitrust litigation over peer review proceedings, subpoena responses, and analysis of antitrust implications of mergers & acquisitions.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in antitrust class action involving conspiracy and group boycott allegations.
- Counseled a hedge fund in connection with bankruptcy litigation involving significant expedited discovery.
- Performed litigation risk assessments for private investment, technology, and information management clients.
- Negotiated class action settlements on behalf of multiple clients.
- Advised large, international private investment companies in connection with analysis and revision of contractual indemnification protections.
- Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a technology company in connection with an appeal of an IRS audit.
- Represented a major medical device company in connection with SEC insider trading investigation.
- Conducted litigation due diligence on behalf of private equity clients.
- Co-author, “The Overturned Visa/MasterCard Settlement: What Does It Mean (If Anything) for the Future,” Bloomberg BNA Class Action Litigation Report (August 25, 2016)