Georgina Jones Suzuki
Georgina Jones Suzuki is a strategic IP transactions associate at Ropes & Gray. She advises public and private companies, universities, and investors in strategic transactions where technology or IP assets are key drivers. These transactions include technology licensing and transfer, collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, supply and distribution arrangements, and other strategic agreements. Georgina also regularly counsels private equity clients and their portfolio companies on intellectual property and data security and privacy issues. In addition, Georgina has completed a full-time, disassociated secondment with the in-house licensing and collaboration team of Gilead Sciences.
Prior to law school, Georgina served as a policy consultant in Washington, D.C. where she worked directly with an individual subsequently appointed to serve as Administrator of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. In that position, she monitored legislative and regulatory proposals concerning scientific issues and analyzed their potential impacts on clients’ businesses. Georgina also has an established history in competitive public speaking and debating; her awards include the top patent infringement damages award in the ChIPs Next Gen Summit Mock Trial, a semi-finalist and best brief award in Boston University’s Albers Prize Moot Court Competition, and a regional finalist ranking in the American Bar Association’s National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
Life Science Collaborations and Licensing
- Advised Bain Capital on IP matters in connection with its formation of Cerevel Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company focused on developing drug candidates to treat disorders of the central nervous system. Counseled Bain on the contribution of pre-commercial neuroscience assets to Cerevel by Pfizer Inc.
- Represented Gilead Sciences in connection with its collaboration agreement with Nurix Therapeutics to discover targeted protein degradation drugs for the treatment of cancer.
- Represents Johnson & Johnson in connection with various licensing and collaboration agreements.
- Represented Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited in a collaboration and license agreement worth up to $900M with Turnstone Biologics directed towards the development and commercialization of a leading oncolytic candidate.
- Advised Northwell Health, New York’s largest health care provider, on the licensing of 3D print files for purposes of making adapters for ventilators to alleviate the COVID-19 crisis.
- Represented Juno Therapeutics, a biopharmaceutical company acquired by Celgene/BMS, in connection with multiple clinical supply and IP licensing agreements involving the company’s cancer immunotherapy products.
- Counseled a biotechnology company on a royalty sale transaction.
- Represented an electronic health records company on a $550 million services agreement regarding its software-as-a-service offerings and data licenses.
Strategic Technology, Media & Telecommunications Transactions
- Counseled on IP matters in connection with a high-profile, multi-billion dollar investment in a leading autonomous vehicle company.
- Counseled Rovi Corporation on intellectual property matters related to its $1.1 billion acquisition of TiVo Corporation.
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs. Also counseled Atlantic Media on IP matters related to its sale of Quartz to Uzabase.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with its acquisition of Wind River Systems, Inc., a world leader in embedded software for intelligent connected systems, from Intel Corporation.
- Counseled Toast, Inc., a cloud-based restaurant software company, on complex software arrangements and its acquisition of human resources and payroll software company StratEx.
- Counseled various Asian-based clients, including several Korea and Hong Kong companies, on U.S-based intellectual property transactions, including CMC Capital’s investment in Giphy, Inc.
- Drafted settlement agreements for companies involved in complex and global patent litigation, including Veeco Instruments in its prior litigation with SGL Carbon and Advanced Micro-Fabrication Equipment Inc. (AMEC).
Data Security and Privacy
- Advised a global investment company on its information security governance program, including information security policies and incident response plan.
- Counseled an online educational content provider regarding compliance of its privacy policies and notices with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- Advised Internet service providers and technology companies on responding to governmental access requests for personal data.
- Counseled various companies and nonprofits on data incident crisis management, including breach notification
Emerging Company Work
- Advised a startup digital health company on internal corporate governance, investment and intellectual property matters.
- Co-author, “How Biotech, Pharma Team Up to Promote Their Products,” Bloomberg Law (February 10, 2020)
- Co-author, “Co-Commercialization Deals in Life Science Collaborations,” Bloomberg Law (December 2019)
- Co-author, “Digital Health is Disrupting the Law Too: Four Legal Frontiers to Watch,” Legaltech News (April 25, 2016)
- Clearing the Air Following National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius: The Clean Air Act and the Constitutionality of Highway Sanctions, 93 B.U.L.R. 2131 (2013).
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2014; Member of the Boston University Law Review; Dean’s Award in Administrative Law
- BSFS (Science, Technology, and International Affairs), magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- California, 2014
- LMG Life Sciences Licensing & Collaboration Firm of the Year (2020)
- Deal of the Year: Bain/Cerevel deal recognized as “Healthcare & Pharma Deal of the Year” for 2018 in the Deal Middle Market Awards.
- Firm of the Year: Bain/Cerevel deal cited by Law360 in designating Ropes & Gray as “Private Equity Firm of the Year” for 2018.
- Lifestars “European Deal of the Year Under £500 Million” (2019)