Georgina Jones Suzuki
Georgina Jones Suzuki joined Ropes & Gray in 2014, and is an associate in the firm’s intellectual property transactions group. She advises public and private companies, universities, and investors in strategic transactions where technology or IP assets are key drivers. These transactions include technology licensing and transfer, collaborations, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, supply and distribution arrangements, and other strategic agreements. Georgina also regularly counsels private equity clients and their portfolio companies on intellectual property and data security and privacy issues.
A certified privacy professional (CIPP/US), Georgina also advises companies on the collection, handling, and protection of data. Her practice includes performing security gap analyses; reviewing privacy policies, incident response plans, and trade secret agreements; and providing advice on data security breaches and incidents. She routinely guides clients through the existing patchwork of U.S. federal and state laws, including GLBA, HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, COPPA, state data breach notification laws, and self-regulatory frameworks such as PCI DSS, as well as collaborating with U.K. data security and privacy colleagues at Ropes & Gray to provide support for European privacy and security matters.
Before joining the legal profession, Georgina worked as a policy consultant in Washington, DC, where she monitored legislative and regulatory proposals concerning scientific issues and analyzed their potential impacts on clients’ businesses. Georgina also has an established history in competitive public speaking and debating; her awards include the top patent infringement damages award in the CHIPS Next Gen Summit Mock Trial, a semi-finalist and best brief award in Boston University’s Albers Prize Moot Court Competition, and a regional finalist ranking in the American Bar Association’s National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Counseled Rovi Corporation on intellectual property matters related to its $1.1 billion acquisition of TiVo Corporation.
- Advised Atlantic Media on copyright, fair use, First Amendment and other intellectual property matters in connection with the acquisition of a majority ownership stake in The Atlantic by the Emerson Collective, founded and run by Laurene Powell Jobs.
- Advised on intellectual property issues related to the division of Bob Evans Farms, Inc. into two independent companies. Counseled on the allocation and licensing of trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets, and counseled on the creation and structure of a trademark holding company for brands important to both businesses. Also advised on the provision of IT transition services post-closing.
- Counseled Castanea Partners in its minority investment in Tatcha, a luxury skincare brand, on trademark, right of publicity, trade secret, marketing and social media matters.
- Counseled various Asian-based clients, including several Korea and Hong Kong companies, on U.S-based intellectual property transactions, including CMC Capital’s investment in Giphy, Inc.
Strategic Transactions and Other IP Counseling
- Represents Juno Therapeutics, a publicly traded biopharmaceutical company, in connection with multiple clinical supply and IP licensing agreements involving the company’s cancer immunotherapy products.
- Represented an electronic health records company on a $550 million services agreement regarding its software-as-a-service offerings and data licenses.
- Drafted settlement agreements for companies involved in patent litigation.
- Drafted trademark usage guidelines for, and provided other trademark counseling, to a leading DNA diagnostics company.
Emerging Company Work
- Advises a startup digital health company on internal corporate governance, investment and intellectual property matters.
Data Security and Privacy
- Advised a global investment company on its information security governance program, including information security policies and incident response plan.
- Counseled an online educational content provider regarding compliance of its privacy policies and notices with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act.
- Advised Internet service providers and technology companies on responding to governmental access requests for personal data.
- Counseled various companies and nonprofits on data incident crisis management, including breach notification.
- Co-author, “Digital Health is Disrupting the Law Too: Four Legal Frontiers to Watch,” Legaltech News (April 25, 2016)
- Clearing the Air Following National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius: The Clean Air Act and the Constitutionality of Highway Sanctions, 93 B.U.L.R. 2131 (2013).