Gregory D. Sheehan
Greg is a partner in the asset management group. Greg Sheehan has over 35 years of experience in investment management and corporate work. Greg served as chair of the investment management group at Ropes & Gray from 2002-2009, and is currently a member of the firm's Policy Committee (management committee).
- Registered investment companies. Both as fund counsel and counsel to the independent trustees/directors of funds, Greg has handled fund formations and offerings, fund mergers, and regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues for investment company clients.
- Registered investment advisers. Greg's work for investment advisers includes regulatory, compliance and enforcement issues, new investment products, and trading and investment activities.
- Hedge funds. Greg has helped hedge fund sponsors organize and offer new funds. He also advises on fund operations and investment activities.
- Private Equity. Greg has advised private equity fund sponsors on compliance and regulatory issues.
- Mergers and acquisitions in the investment management industry. Greg has assisted clients with the entire acquisition process, including the retention of investment bankers, deal structuring, negotiation of definitive documentation, employment arrangements, equity incentive plans, and client consents.
- Quoted, “2017 Board Departures Fueled by Mergers, Liquidations,” BoardIQ (January 17, 2018)
- Quoted, “Leave Lipstick off the Pig, SEC Says in New Risk Alert,” BoardIQ (September 26, 2017)
- Quoted, “In Europe’s MiFID II, a Major Headache for U.S. Funds,” BoardIQ (July 18, 2017)
- Quoted, “More Work Means More Pay – and Better Organization,” BoardIQ (June 20, 2017)
- Quoted, “At DMS Funds, Independent Board Was Anything But,” BoardIQ (October 18, 2016)
- Quoted, “Disappointment, Confusion After Distribution in Guise Action,” BoardIQ (October 6, 2015)
- Featured, “Funds Fear SEC Crackdown in Gray Zone of Sales Fees,” Ignites (April 24, 2015)
- Quoted, “As Board Books Balloon in Size, Some Wish For Editors,” BoardIQ (April 7, 2015)
- Quoted, “Liquidity, Disclosure Hot Topics in Light of Bond Sweep,” BoardIQ (January 6, 2015)
- Quoted, “Special Issue: More Boards Boosted Comp in 2013,” BoardIQ (April 8, 2014)
- Gregory Sheehan and Robert Shapiro, “Implications of the Recent Settlement between the Securities and Exchange Commission and the Former Independent Directors of the Morgan Keegan Funds,” The Investment Lawyer (November 2013)
- Quoted, “Ex-Colorado Fund Finance Chief Slapped for Lying to CCO,” Board IQ (September 10, 2013)
- Quoted, “Thanks for Serving, but It’s Time for You to Leave Now,” BoardIQ (May 21, 2013)
- Quoted, “SEC settles case with ex-directors of Morgan Keegan funds,” Investment News (March 27, 2013)
- Quoted, “Dear Board, Here’s a Great Director for Your Consideration,” BoardIQ (March 26, 2013)
- Quoted, “NYLIM Settlement Raises More Questions,” Institutional Investor (August 7, 2009)
- Quoted, “Counsel To Boards: Proceed On Independent Chair,” Institutional Investor (August 1, 2005)
- Quoted, “Counsel Split on Future of Governance Rules,” Institutional Investor (August 1, 2005)
- Speaker, “Webinar on SEC Staff Guidance on Mutual Fund Distribution and Subaccounting Fees: A Summary and Discussion for Fund Directors,” Independent Directors Council (February 18, 2016)
- Panelist, “Litigation and Regulatory Update,” The Independent Directors Council’s 2015 Fund Directors Conference (October 7, 2015)
- Presenter, Investment Company Institute’s 2015 Mutual Funds and Investment Management Conference, “U.S. and Global Trends in the Regulation of Payments to Intermediaries” (March 17, 2015)
- Presenter, Independent Directors Council webinar “Fund Directors: Board Oversight of Fixed-Income Funds” (April 1, 2014)
- JD, University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 1980; Executive Editor of The California Law Review, Order of the Coif
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1977; John Harvard Scholarships, Phi Beta Kappa