Jimena Acuña Smith
Jimena Acuña Smith is counsel in the corporate department and a member of the firm’s asset management group. Jimena’s practice focuses on the representation of investment management industry clients, including mutual funds, investment advisers, and independent directors, in regulatory, transactional, and compliance matters. Jimena has assisted investment management industry clients in the establishment, registration, reorganization, termination and ongoing operation of retail and institutional fund products; the creation and implementation of compliance programs; and the preparation and review of shareholder communications and advertising materials. She has assisted clients with compliance, examination, and other regulatory issues with the Securities and Exchange Commission. She has considerable experience negotiating service provider and other contractual arrangements. Jimena also works with clients to respond to new Securities and Exchange Commission rules affecting the investment management industry.
Jimena maintains an active pro bono practice, and has successfully represented asylum seekers before the immigration courts in California and Texas.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Jimena worked as a Constituent Representative specializing in immigration issues, including family-based immigration petitions, at a congressional office in San Francisco.
- Represents the Jackson National Life Funds on a wide range of corporate, compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Represents the Pax World Mutual Funds and the Independent Trustees of the Pax World Mutual Funds on a wide range of corporate, compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Represents Jackson Square Partners, LLC on a wide range of matters, including day-to-day compliance advice.
- Counsels several asset managers on a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters, including liquidity rule matters and other new regulatory matters.
- Advised Artisan Funds and the Independent Directors of Artisan Funds on a wide range of regulatory and compliance matters, including the creation of new products.
- Assisted Pacific Investment Management Company LLC with investment adviser regulatory advice and other compliance matters.
- Co-author, “Mandatory Retirement: Considerations for Retiring Directors,” Fund Directions (June 2013)
- JD, University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 2010; Articles Editor and Feller Lecture Editor, Berkeley Journal of Employment and Labor Law
- BA, with Honors, University of California, Berkeley, 2005
Admissions / Qualifications
- Colorado, 2020
- California, 2010