John Saran is a health care attorney practicing in the corporate department at Ropes & Gray LLP with an emphasis on health care transactional and regulatory matters.
He regularly advises health care companies and private equity investors on mergers and acquisitions and public offerings in the health care and life science industries, including hospitals and healthcare systems, physician and dental practices, management/dental service organizations and digital health companies. He also has experience in assisting provider platforms with their growth strategy including add-on acquisitions, complex service arrangements and joint ventures.
His regulatory practice helps clients navigate matters related to the corporate practice of medicine, fraud and abuse laws, HIPAA, the CARES Act/COVID-19 laws and health care licensure. Moreover, he assists clients in the development and implementation of regulatory compliance programs, the creation of Kidney Contracting Entities and other value-based care models and the assessment of ongoing enforcement actions and audits.
- Co-author, “4 Ways State Oversight May Change Nationwide Health Deals,” Law360 (March 23, 2023)
- Co-author, “Should Health Orgs Join CMS' Direct Contracting Program?” Law360 (February 5, 2020)
- Co-author, “Dental Service Organizations Face Unintended Consequences From Government Scrutiny,” The New York Law Journal (August 10, 2015)
- JD, cum laude, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 2013; executive perspectives editor, Northwestern Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property
- BA (History and Political Science), Northwestern University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2021-2023)