John E. Sorkin
John advises a broad range of clients on U.S. and cross-border M&A transactions, including strategic and private equity acquisitions and dispositions, leveraged buyouts and other transactional and corporate governance matters. He also regularly counsels many of the world’s leading investment banks on financial advisory matters. John has been a frequent speaker on M&A and tender offer transaction topics and has served as adjunct professor at Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, where he led a class on private equity transactions.
John is recognized as a leading lawyer for M&A and private equity transactions by numerous industry guides, including Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500 and International Financial Law Review where he is described as “a fantastic, hands-on attorney" who is “always available to us, incredibly thorough and offers practical, solutions-oriented advice” and as “an extremely skillful practitioner” with a “reputation for work in leveraged buyouts.”
- New Mountain Capital in its
- Acquisition of Aceto’s chemicals business in a sale pursuant to Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code
- Partnership with MAG Aerospace, a leading turnkey provider of intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance solutions to the US government, intergovernmental organizations and allied governments
- Majority investment in a combination of IMA Consulting and Revint Solutions, creating a leading platform offering a full suite of technology-enabled revenue integrity and recovery solutions as well as complex revenue cycle management consulting and interim management services for health care providers
- Partnership with Cytel, Inc., the leading global provider of innovative analytical software and services to the life sciences industry
- Investment in Topix Pharmaceuticals a leading provider of innovative therapeutic and cosmetic skin care products
- Acquisition of HealthPort Technologies (now called CIOX Health)*
- Acquisition of publicly-traded consumable chemical packaged goods company Zep Inc.*
- Acquisition of Covidien’s specialty chemicals business, now called Avantor*
- Revint Solutions in its acquisition of Naveos, a market leader in specialized government reimbursement technology and services for health care providers
- Convey Health Solutions, a leading provider of technology and services for the Medicare Advantage and Part D markets, in its acquisitions of Gorman Health Group, HealthScape Advisors and Pareto Intelligence
- Virgin Media Inc. in its $24 billion acquisition by Liberty Global, Inc.*
- CIOX Health, a health services company that facilitates and manages the movement of health information, in its acquisition of ArroHealth, a leading provider of chart retrieval and risk adjustment services for health plans and provider groups, as well as CIOX’s previous acquisitions of IOD Incorporated* and ECS*
- Madison International Realty in a PIPE investment in Thomas Properties Group*
- Media General in its acquisition of Young Broadcasting*
- BlackRock and KKR in a majority investment in Home Partners of America Inc., a single-family rental company backed by Lew Ranieri*
John also serves as outside counsel to a number of investment banks in their capacity as financial advisor in a wide variety of M&A transactions, including the following recent transactions:
- CommScope’s acquisition of ARRIS International plc
- Sale of WildHorse Resource Development Corporation to Chesapeake Energy Corporation
- Broadcom’s acquisition of CA, Inc.
- Comstock Resources’ acquisition of oil and gas interests of Arkoma Drilling, L.P. and Williston Drilling, L.P.
- Cohu’s acquisition of Xcerra Corporation
- Sale of Nutri-Force Nutrition subsidiary of Vitamin Shoppe, Inc. to Arizona Nutritional Supplements, LLC
- Sale of The Finish Line, Inc. to JD Sports Fashion Plc
- Acquisition of Oclaro, Inc. by Lumentum Holdings, Inc.
- Sale of the Z-Wave business of Sigma Designs, Inc. to Silicon Laboratories Inc.
- Sale of Infinity Property and Casualty Corporation to Kemper Corporation
- Granite Construction Incorporated’s acquisition of Layne Christensen Company
- Sale of C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. to an affiliate of the Pritzker Group
- Acquisition of Filament Brands by Lifetime Brands
- CIRCOR International’s acquisition of Colfax’s fluid handling business
- Inotek Pharmaceuticals Corporation’s combination with Rocket Pharmaceuticals
- Sale of YuMe, Inc. to RhythmOne plc
- Sale of Numerex Corp. to Sierra Wireless, Inc.
- Sale of Ixia to Keysight Technologies, Inc.
- Sale of Tobira Therapeutics, Inc. to Allergan plc
- Sale of Accuride Corporation to affiliates of Crestview Advisors, L.L.C.
- Sale of Sagent Pharmaceuticals, Inc. to Nichi-Iko Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd.
- Luminex Corporation’s acquisition of Nanosphere, Inc.
- Combination of Zais Financial Corp. and Sutherland Asset Management Corporation
- Combination of the beverage alcohol distribution businesses of Sunbelt Holding and Wirtz Beverage Group
- ON Semiconductor’s acquisition of Fairchild Semiconductor
- Dropdown of interest in Portland Natural Gas Transmission System to TC Pipelines, LP
- Snyder’s-Lance’s acquisition of Diamond Foods
- Merger of Delhaize Group SA with Koninklijke Ahold NV
- Combination of POZEN Inc. and Tribute Pharmaceuticals Canada Inc.
*Representations completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Quoted, “Why Force Majeure Isn't A Golden Ticket Out Of M&A Deals,” Law360 (April 20, 2020)
- Co-author, “The Risks of Not Strictly Complying with a “No Shop” Clause,” Ropes & Gray Alert (September 13, 2019)
- Co-author, “Use of 'ticking fee' in Novartis-AveXis transactions,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (November 14, 2018)
- Co-author, “Company's unaffected market price is best evidence of fair value for appraisal valuations,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (March 14, 2018)
- Co-author, “Additional Delaware guidance on avoiding extra-contractual fraud claims in sale transaction,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (June 14, 2017)
- Co-author, “Court more likely to equate deal price with fair value following appropriate sales process,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (May 10, 2017)
- Co-author, “Court again rejects transaction price as best measure of fair value,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (May 10, 2017)
- Co-author, “Implementation of amendments to Delaware General Corporation Law,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (Nov. 23, 2016)
- JD, with honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 1994
- BA, magna cum laude, Yale University, 1990
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 1995
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business in Corporate/M&A
- Chambers Global
- The Legal 500 in M&A/Corporate and Commercial: M&A - Large Deals ($1bn+)
- IFLR 1000 in Corporate and M&A
- New York Super Lawyers