Josef focuses his practice on patent litigation in the electronics, computer and software industries. His experience includes drafting and arguing motions before the Court, performing validity and infringement analyses, overseeing all aspects of claim construction, conducting discovery investigations, managing expert witnesses, and taking and defending depositions. Josef has litigated cases in many jurisdictions including the Eastern District of Texas, the District of Delaware, the Northern District of California and the U.S. International Trade Commission. Josef has a degree in electrical engineering and has experience relating to electronics and consumer products, computers, telecommunications, Internet-based technology, financial services technology, cable television systems, semiconductor devices, LEDs, optics, and image processing.
- Certain Digital Video Receivers and Hardware and Software Components Thereof (337-TA-1001) – Represent Rovi against Comcast in an investigation involving seven patents relating to interactive program guides and related technologies.
- Zipit v. BlackBerry (D. S. Carolina) – Represent BlackBerry in a multi-patent suit regarding wireless messaging and control of communications devices over a computer network.
- InfoBionic v. Braemar Manufacturing (PTAB) – Represented patent owner in four IPR proceedings relating to cardiac monitoring technology. Institution of two petitions was successfully blocked at institution stage.
- Cardionet LLC v. Infobionic, Inc. (D. Mass.): Represented CardioNet in a multi-patent litigation involving cardiac detection technology and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Smartflash LLC v. a Leading Consumer Electronics Company (E.D. Tex.): Represent a leading consumer electronics company in a six-patent litigation related to purchase and digital rights management of content.
- Spansion v. Macronix et al. (USITC) – Represented Spansion in multi-patent cases related to flash memory technology.
- Cardionet LLC v. The ScottCare Corp. (E.D. Pa.): Represented CardioNet in a multi-patent litigation involving cardiac detection technology.
- Cardionet LLC v. Mednet Technologies (E.D. Pa.): Represented CardioNet in a multi-patent litigation involving cardiac detection technology.
- Jongeriues Panoramic Technologies, LLC v. a Leading Consumer Electronics Company (M.D. Fl., N.D. Cal.): Represented a leading consumer electronics company in a patent litigation relating to the display of panoramic images and street maps.
- Parallel Iron, LLC v. Adconion Media Inc. et al (D. Del.): Represented EMC Corporation in ongoing patent infringement litigation relating to distributed file systems.
- Compression Technology Solutions LLC v. CA, Inc. et al (D. Del.): Represented EMC Corporation in ongoing patent infringement litigation relating to information processing.
- Motorola Mobility, Inc. v. Microsoft Corporation (S.D. Fl., W.D. Wa.): Represented Motorola against Microsoft in multi-district litigation directed to, inter alia, smartphones and set-top boxes.
- Josef also currently represents a number of clients in patent licensing negotiations and pre-suit infringement investigations.
- Co-author, “3 Patent Eligibility Reform Ideas Add Clarity But Bring Risks,” Law360 (September 28, 2021)
- Co-Author, “Patentability of ‘Internet’ Technology: A Continuing Analysis,” Chapter, Inside the Minds: Managing Intellectual Property Issues in Cyberspace (Thomson Reuters/Aspatore) (2012)
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2010
- BA (Pre-Engineering), Yeshiva University, 2004
- BS (Electrical Engineering), Columbia University, 2004
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas, 2018