Keun Shin is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s private equity transaction group in Seoul. His practice focuses on advising private equity funds, private and public companies and financial investors in complex cross-border M&A, investments, joint ventures and other corporate transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Keun was an associate in the mergers and acquisitions groups of leading international law firms in New York and Chicago.
- Advised Bain Capital in its acquisition of a majority stake in Classys, a South Korea-based medical aesthetics device maker.
- Advised Bain Capital in its US$1 billion+ sale of a controlling stake in Hugel Inc., a South Korean biopharmaceutical company.
- Advised Bain Capital Special Situations in its co-investment in the advanced materials business of Hanwha Solutions, alongside Glenwood Credit.
- Advised Bain Capital Credit in connection with various investment and exit transactions including:
- its acquisition, and its subsequent sale, of a minority stake in Schwan’s Company;
- its mezzanine loan and warrant investment in INSPIRE Integrated Resort Co., Ltd. as part of a greenfield casino & resort development project in South Korea;
- its minority investment in Douzone Bizon, a leading enterprise resource planning (ERP) software developer in South Korea;
- its investment in ST Unitas, a leading Korean edu-tech company; and
- its investment in convertible bonds issued by PeopleFund, a Korean P2P lending startup company.
- Advised TPG Capital in its follow-on minority investment in Kakao Mobility, South Korea's largest taxi hailing app.
- Advised KKR in its investment, together with IGIS Asset Management and the National Pension Service of Korea, of a mixed-use real estate project in the Gangnam Business District in Seoul, South Korea.
- Advised Mirae Asset and Naver Corporation in their US$150 million investment (through a joint fund, Mirae Asset-Naver Asia Growth PEF) into Grab Holdings Inc., a Singapore-based ride-hailing company.
Notable transactions in which Keun was involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised Bain Capital in its US$1 billion acquisition (together with Diamond Capital) of Beacon Health Strategies.
- Advised Bain Capital in its US$2 billion sale of Air Medical Group Holdings to KKR.
- Advised Ariad Pharmaceuticals in its US$5.2 billion acquisition by Takeda Pharmaceuticals.
- Advised Apollo Global Management in its creation of a joint securitization vehicle with Renew Financial.
- Advised Tencent in its US$800 million joint investment with JD.com in a foreign private issuer.
- Advised Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan in its acquisition of Compass Datacenters, a build-to-suit datacenter developer.
- Advised Madison Dearborn Partners in its investment in Centennial Towers, an operator of wireless communication towers in Mexico, Colombia and Brazil.
- Advised Summit Partners in connection with various investment and exit transactions including:
- its investment in and subsequent US$1.2 billion sale of BluePearl Holdings to Mars Petcare; and
- its investments in custom oligo, oil maximization and network device businesses.
- Advised GTCR in its sale of multiple home care and hospice businesses to Thomas H. Lee Partners.
- Advised Jeffrey Ubben of ValueAct Capital in his investment in United Talent Agency.
- JD, cum laude, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 2013
- BBA, Yonsei University, 2006
Admissions / Qualifications
- Korea, Registered Foreign Legal Consultant for U.S. Law, 2019
- New York, 2016
- Illinois, 2013
- Legal 500 Asia-Pacific: Rising Star for “Corporate and M&A: Foreign Firms” in South Korea (2020-2023)