Michael is an associate in the litigation and enforcement practice group. He focuses his practice on complex commercial disputes, securities litigation, shareholder derivative actions, and internal and government-initiated investigations. He has significant experience in all phases of litigation, including discovery, motion practice, trial, and appeal. He has represented clients in class action lawsuits and appeared on their behalf before government agencies. His clients have included financial services firms, technology companies, pharmaceutical and medical device companies, and directors and officers of public and private companies.
Prior to joining the firm, Michael served as a Special Assistant District Attorney at the Middlesex County District Attorney’s Office. As part of the Appeals & Training Bureau, he authored appellate briefs, presented oral arguments, and tried criminal cases in Massachusetts courts.
- Representing independent directors of public company board in connection with shareholder derivative actions alleging multiple breaches of fiduciary duties in connection with contractual renewals and multi-million dollar business acquisition.
- Representing global investment bank in connection with litigation arising from its role as a financial advisor in connection with a billion dollar merger transaction.
- Representing orphan drug pharmaceutical drug company in connection with criminal and civil investigations by the Department of Justice and Securities Exchange Commission, as well as securities class action lawsuit.
- Representing leading provider of digital audio and video solutions in securities class action litigation alleging fraud in connection with the launch of a major new product.
- Represented large financial services firm in securities class action and related Securities and Exchange Commission investigation in connection with allegations of fraud and self-dealing.
- Represented provider of digital audio and video solutions in securities class action alleging fraud following a $900 million financial restatement and secured favorable agreed-upon resolution.
- Represented shareholders in a three-week jury trial involving breach of contract and tortious interference claims. Assisted in all aspects of trial and witness preparation, motions practice, and trial presentation.
- Represented a member of the Demoulas Super Markets board of directors in litigation alleging that the director was in violation of the company’s by-laws and articles of organization. Conducted an investigation on behalf of a special committee of the board. Represented committee members in connection with ongoing corporate governance disputes concerning the Market Basket grocery store chain.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in connection with a criminal and civil investigation by the Department of Justice regarding alleged healthcare fraud.
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2010
- BS/BA (Marketing; International Business), magna cum laude, Villanova University, 2007