Michael A. Shulman
Michael joined the tax and benefits department at Ropes & Gray in 2017. He regularly advises private equity and other clients on tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and represents private fund managers and investors on the formation and operation of private equity funds, credit funds, hedge funds, and mutual funds.
During law school, Michael served as an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, and received the Sears Prize, which is awarded to the two students with the highest second-year grade averages.
- Represented the National Football League in a strategic partnership with Endeavor to operate On Location Experiences
- Advised The Habit Restaurants Inc., operator of The Habit Burger Grill, in connection with its sale to YUM! Brands Inc.
- Advised Silver Lake Partners in a $319 million strategic investment round in Vacasa, North America’s largest vacation rental management platform.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Advarra, a provider of institutional review board, institutional biosafety committee, and research quality and compliance services, from Linden Capital Partners.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisition of a majority ownership interest in Aimbridge Hospitality from Lee Equity Partners and General Atlantic.
- Advised New Mountain Capital in its sale of Equian, a health care payment integrity provider, a transaction which was named “Deal of the Year” by Buyout Insider, both in the large markets category and the overall Deal of the Year category for 2019.
- Represented BV Investment Partners on the formation of its latest private equity fund, Fund X.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in its majority investment to facilitate the merger of IMA Consulting and Revint Solutions, as well as representing the resulting portfolio company in several add-on acquisitions, including its acquisition of Naveos, a market leader in specialized government reimbursement technology and services for health care providers.
- Provides ongoing advice to several regulated investment companies and hedge funds regarding their tax structure and portfolio investments.
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2017; Sears Prize
- BA (Mathematics), summa cum laude, Yeshiva University, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2018