Michael A. Shulman
Michael joined the tax practice at Ropes & Gray in 2017. He regularly advises private equity and other clients on tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and represents private fund managers and investors on the formation and operation of private equity funds, credit funds, hedge funds, and mutual funds.
During law school, Michael served as an editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, and received the Sears Prize, which is awarded to the two students with the highest second-year grade averages.
- Represented TPG Capital and Francisco Partners in their carve-out acquisition of Boomi, a provider of cloud-based iPaaS, from Dell Technologies.
- Represented TPG Capital in its investment in DirecTV with AT&T.
- Represented TPG Capital in its acquisition of ClaimsXten, Change Healthcare’s claims payment and editing business.
- Represented Advent International in its take-private acquisition of Forescout Technologies, a cybersecurity company.
- Advised TSG Consumer Partners in connection with its acquisition of Cadogan Tate, a premium moving and storage business.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in its majority investment to facilitate the merger of IMA Consulting and Revint Solutions, as well as representing New Mountain Capital and the resulting portfolio company (Cloudmed) in several add-on acquisitions, and its subsequent sale to R1 RCM, Inc. in a transaction valuing Cloudmed at approximately $4.1 billion.
- Represented the National Football League in a strategic partnership with Endeavor to operate On Location Experiences
- Advised The Habit Restaurants Inc., operator of The Habit Burger Grill, in connection with its sale to YUM! Brands Inc.
- Advised Silver Lake Partners in a $319 million strategic investment round in Vacasa, North America’s largest vacation rental management platform.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Advarra, a provider of institutional review board, institutional biosafety committee, and research quality and compliance services, from Linden Capital Partners.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisition of a majority ownership interest in Aimbridge Hospitality from Lee Equity Partners and General Atlantic.
- Advised New Mountain Capital in its sale of Equian, a health care payment integrity provider, a transaction which was named “Deal of the Year” by Buyout Insider, both in the large markets category and the overall Deal of the Year category for 2019.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in the reorganization and initial public offering of Signify Health (structured as an “up-C IPO”), a leading health care platform that leverages advanced analytics, technology, and nationwide health care provider networks to create and power value-based payment programs.
- Represented Bain Capital in the launch of its Crypto Fund, the private equity firm’s first crypto-dedicated fund.
- Represents Crosspoint Capital Partners on various fund formation matters, including the formation of its debut buyout fund, Crosspoint Capital Fund I.
- Represents BV Investment Partners on various fund formation matters.
- Provides ongoing advice to several regulated investment companies and hedge funds regarding their tax structure and portfolio investments.
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2017; Sears Prize
- BA (Mathematics), summa cum laude, Yeshiva University, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2018