Nathalia Sosa is an associate in the Litigation and Enforcement practice group, where she focuses on government enforcement, white-collar criminal defense, internal investigations, and anti-corruption matters. As a native Spanish speaker, Nathalia assists multinational companies in developing and enhancing their corporate compliance programs, including for operations in Spanish-speaking jurisdictions. She also handles Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) internal investigations, and is responsible for performing anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and sanctions due diligence and risk analyses in high-risk jurisdictions globally. Since joining Ropes & Gray, Nathalia has assisted corporate and individual clients in investigations and inquiries by the DOJ, SEC, FINRA, state enforcement agencies, and European authorities. She handles all stages of investigations from pre-indictment and pre-disclosure through resolution, and counsels clients in the biopharmaceutical, medical device, life sciences, animal health, technology, oil and gas, renewable energy, aviation, and private equity sectors, among other industries.
Nathalia also maintains an active pro bono practice, advocating for immigrant and children’s rights. In 2019, she was awarded the Ropes & Gray Roscoe Trimmier Jr. Diversity Scholarship.
During law school, Nathalia interned at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland, where she assisted prosecutors in the Fraud and Public Corruption Section. Nathalia also worked as a student attorney for the International Women’s Human Rights Clinic, where she travelled to Uganda to conduct interviews and draft proposed legislation to address gaps in children’s education and health rights. Nathalia served as alumni chair for the Latin American Law Students Association at Georgetown University Law Center.
- In partnership with Protect Democracy, representing Florida honeymoon registry company Honeyfund.com, along with workplace diversity consultancy Collective Concepts and its co-founder Chevara Orrin, to block enforcement of Florida’s HB 7, the Stop WOKE Act.
- Part of team advising a multinational pharmaceutical company regarding allegations involving a clinical study site in Latin America.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a global animal health company’s operations in the Middle East and Europe in connection with whistleblower reports alleging violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and related compliance policies.
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, economic sanctions, and export controls compliance due diligence in English and Spanish for large private equity firms and their portfolio companies operating in high-risk jurisdictions globally.
- Completed comprehensive anti-corruption/anti-bribery risk assessment of an international transportation network company’s Mexico operations.
- Assisting private equity firms with internal investigations in connection with whistleblower complaints, allegations of accounting fraud, and violations of company policy in Spain.
- Conducted internal investigation of a major South American airline for potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, including advising client through voluntary disclosure to the SEC and DOJ. The SEC closed its investigation without recommending an enforcement action against the Company.
- Assisted major pharmaceutical company in investigation by the U.S. Attorney’s Office into allegations of violations of the False Claims Act and Anti-Kickback Statute, including in connection with investigative subpoenas.
- Author, “The COVID-19 Landscape in Latin America, Over a Year Later,” Anti-Corruption Report (October 13, 2021)
- Co-author, “The COVID-19 Landscape in Latin America, Over a Year Later,” Anti-Corruption Report (October 13, 2021)
- Co-author, “Colombia’s Superintendence of Companies Expands New Criteria for Compliance Programs: Deadline to Comply by April 30, 2021,” Ropes & Gray Alert (February 10, 2021)
- Co-author, “Cómo garantizar el cumplimiento con normalidad, incluso si el negocio no se lleva a cabo con normalidad en Latinoamérica (Ensuring Compliance as Usual Even Without Business as Usual in Latin America),” Ropes & Gray Alert (June 5, 2020)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2019
- BA, magna cum laude, Florida State University, 2015; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2022
- New York, 2020