Nathan D. Somogie
Nathan Somogie is an associate in the corporate department and a member of the firm’s investment management group. Nathan’s practice focuses on representing investment advisers, registered investment companies and their independent directors in a variety of regulatory, transactional and compliance matters. He regularly provides advice regarding the formation, registration and operation of new and existing investment products, including open- and closed-end funds, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and business development companies (BDCs), and has experience in the ongoing compliance maintenance of investment companies and investment advisers.
Nathan has considerable experience in the reorganization of investment companies and has represented investment advisers and broker-dealers in mergers and acquisitions. He regularly assists clients in the preparation of exemptive applications and responses to regulatory inquiries and examinations. Nathan also works closely with clients to respond to new regulations affecting the investment management industry.
Nathan clerked for the Honorable John M. Rogers of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit from 2010 to 2011. Prior to law school, he was a senior auditor at Deloitte.
- Represents the Columbia Funds in a variety of different matters, including fund and adviser compliance matters, organization of new funds, regulatory filings, fund disclosure, board matters, and advisory, sub-advisory and other service provider arrangements.
- Represents the Natixis and Loomis Sayles Funds in a wide range of matters, including advice regarding trading and investment activities, organization of new funds, adviser and fund compliance matters, regulatory filings, fund disclosure and board matters.
- Represents AMG Funds in a variety of different matters, including day-to-day compliance advice, organization of new funds, advice regarding investments in various derivatives, regulatory filings and board matters.
- Represents the Brighthouse Funds in a wide range of matters, including compliance matters, regulatory filings, fund disclosure, board matters, and advisory, sub-advisory and other service provider arrangements.
- Advised Natixis Global Asset Management on investment adviser registration and global distribution matters in connection with the organization and registration of a new U.S. advisory affiliate.
- Counseled AMG Funds and Pantheon Ventures on the launch of a registered fund of private equity funds, one of the first in the investment management industry, including assistance with registration and organizational matters.
- Advised Columbia Threadneedle, Pax World, State Street Global Advisors and several other global asset managers regarding a variety of investment company reorganizations, including the first merger of an ETF into an open-end fund and other specialized merger structures.
- Provides ongoing advice to several global asset managers regarding the development of alternative investment strategies in registered fund products, such as managed volatility strategies and other derivatives-related strategies, total return strategies, fund-of-private-fund strategies and multi-manager strategies.
- Advises private equity fund sponsors regarding corporate and regulatory matters in connection with investments in registered investment advisers and broker-dealers.
- “European Legal and Regulatory Update,” Boston Bar Association, Financial Services Section Newsletter (Winter 2012)
- “Failure of a ‘Basic Assumption’: The Emerging Standard for Excuse Under MAE Provisions,” Michigan Law Review (2009)