Paul J. (PJ) Sullivan
PJ Sullivan focuses his practice on representing private equity firms and strategic investors in the structuring and negotiation of mergers and acquisitions, minority investments and divestitures across a broad range of industries, including consumer products, retail, health care, TMT and asset management. He operates in both the middle-market and large-cap spaces, and has led transactions with a wide range of investment sizes. PJ also regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on corporate governance, compliance, equity and general operational matters.
During law school, PJ worked in the legal department of the Boston Red Sox and in the Public Corruption and Special Prosecutions Unit of the U.S. Attorneys Office in the District of Massachusetts. A former All-American swimmer at the University of Virginia, PJ remains actively involved in the swimming community.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of a majority stake in U.S. Renal Care, a leading provider of dialysis services for patients suffering from end stage renal disease, from Leonard Green & Partners.
- Represented Bain Capital Double Impact in its simultaneous acquisition and business combination of Arosa and LivHome (now operating as Arosa+LivHome), to create a premier national in-home care provider.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its investment in Franco Signor, a provider of Medicare Secondary Payer compliance solutions to the country’s largest self-insured companies, insurers, and third party administrators, and in the sale of Franco Signor to Verisk.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its investment in EDCO Health Information Solutions, a leading provider of automated unstructured data indexing solutions for health care providers.
- Represented BV Investment Partners in its investment in StraighterLine, a provider of scalable solutions to deliver affordance, effective and accelerated pathways to formal degree programs.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its agreement to acquire Box Partners, the nation’s largest wholesaler of packaging, shipping and industrial supplies.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its agreement to acquire Empire Today, a home improvement and home furnishing company specializing in installed carpet, flooring and window treatments, from H.I.G. Capital.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its investment in Mediaocean, a leading software platform serving advertising agencies and brands with a suite of software products for ad campaign management, execution and delivery.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its investment in Park Place Technologies, a leading global third-party maintenance provider, alongside GTCR.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its acquisition of HDT Global, a provider of solutions aimed at creating and controlling environmental conditions to protect equipment and personnel, and HDT Global’s acquisitions of DHS Systems, a provider of rapidly deployable expeditionary equipment, and DRS Environmental Systems, a manufacturer of rugged and transportable mobile enclosures, environmental control units, power generators and other ground support systems, and Berg Companies, Washington-based manufacturer of hard and soft wall shelter systems, fuel and water systems and power management solutions.
- Represented HDT Global and Charlesbank Capital Partners in Charlesbank’s sale of HDT Global to Nexus Capital Management.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in its investment in HelpSystems, a global provider of IT operations management, security and analytics solutions, alongside TA Associates and HGGC.
- Represented Mason Wells in its investment in RJW Group, a leading provider of supply chain logistics services for consumer packaged goods companies.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Backcountry.com, one of the largest online specialty retailers of outdoor gear and apparel.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of Paige Denim, a premium denim brand, to Lion Capital.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Lucky Vitamin, an industry-leading e-commerce retailer of natural and organic wellness products, from GNC.
- Represented Sports Entertainment Acquisition Corp., a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company, in a definitive agreement to combine with SGHC Limited, the parent company of Betway (“Super Group”) to create a global gaming company to be listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
- Represented State Street Corporation in the sale of State Street’s joint venture interest in Boston Financial Data Services, Inc. (“BFDS”) and International Financial Data Services Limited (“IFDS”) to DST Systems, Inc. for $333 million.
- Represented State Street Corporation in its acquisition of GE Asset Management, a global asset manager with more than $110 billion in assets under management, from General Electric Company.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2013; Dean’s Award for Community Leadership
- BA (Economics), University of Virginia, 2008
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2013