R. Newcomb Stillwell
Newcomb Stillwell is co-managing partner of Ropes & Gray’s Boston office. He principally represents private equity firms in mergers and acquisitions.
Newcomb has been deeply involved in Ropes & Gray’s private equity practice since its inception in the early 80’s and served as the first chair of the Private Equity Group. He has represented Bain Capital since 1992, advising them on multiple transactions of all kinds. His other current major clients include Advent International and The Blackstone Group.
- Represented Advent in its acquisition of Walmart Brazil.
- Represented Bain Double Impact in its acquisition of Penn Foster.
- Represented Blackstone and Change Healthcare in its combination with McKesson Technology Solutions.
- Represented Bain and Blackstone and the Weather Company in the sale of the Weather Company’s P&T business to IBM.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of TI Automotive for $2.4 billion.
- Represented Blackstone in its acquisition, through its portfolio company Emdeon, Inc., of Altegra Health, a provider of healthcare analytics technology.
- Represented TA Associates in its acquisition, through its portfolio company Tectum Holdings, of A.R.E. Accessories, a fiberglass manufacturing company.
- Represented Advent International in its investment in Genoa, a QoL Healthcare Company, a leading behavioral health specialty planning company.
- Represented Summit Partners in its acquisition, together with Fleetcor, of Masternaut Group, Europe's largest provider of telematics services to vehicle fleets.
- Represented TPG in its $750 million investment in Chobani, a leading Greek yogurt company.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blackhawk Specialty Tools, LLC, an oil and gas services company focused on cementing and well construction.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1 billion acquisition of Genpact Ltd., a worldwide business process and technology management service provider.
- Represented The Blackstone Group in its $3 billion acquisition of Emdeon Inc., a payment cycle management solutions company.
- Represented TPG in its investment in Saxo Bank, a Danish investment firm.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.8 billion acquisition of Gymboree Corporation, a leading American children’s apparel and accessories retailer.
- Represented TPG in its $1.6 billion acquisition with Goldman Sachs of Ontex NV, a leading provider of consumer brands.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Bellsystem24, the leading call center operator in Japan.
- Quoted, “Massachusetts Powerhouse: Ropes & Gray,” Law360 (August 31, 2018)
- Quoted, “Innovation Economy Drives Massachusetts Powerhouses,” Law360 (August 27, 2018)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1984
- AB, magna cum laude, Princeton University, 1979