IP Transactions Attorney
Robert joined Ropes & Gray in 2019 as an intellectual property transactions attorney in the IP Transactions group, based in New York. Robert has represented clients across the full gamut of traditional IP issues such as patent, trademark, copyright and trade secrets to the more untraditional areas such as open source, cyber security, and privacy. He has also advised clients on the drafting and negotiation of technology related transactional matters including software licensing, software development, joint ventures / strategic alliances, and consultant services. Currently he focuses on corporate transactional matters such as mergers and acquisitions, divestitures / carve outs, and bankruptcy sales.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray LLP, Robert was the principal of his own law practice eponymously named Stewart Law Practice where he advised clients in a range of legal matters. As the former Chief Counsel of Intellectual Property at NYSE Euronext, Robert handled intellectual property litigation, prosecution, licensing, contractual, and M&A matters from a corporate in house perspective. Before joining NYSE Euronext, Robert worked as the Chief Patent Counsel of UBS AG in the Americas, was Credit Suisse First Boston's first Patent Counsel and IP Counsel at the largest American multinational financial services entity. Before that as a young associate, Robert worked for BakerBotts, LLP in New York.
Robert formerly chaired the Financial Services Roundtable Intellectual Property Working Group. Robert is a registered patent attorney with the US Patent and Trademark office. He has also lectured extensively on IP issues including testimony before the House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet, and Intellectual Property regarding proposed legislation much of which was either incorporated into H.R. 1249, "Leahy-Smith The America Invents Act" or "enacted" by the judiciary.
- Represented a number of large PE firms in a number of acquisition deals including various all stock deals and a bankruptcy related asset purchase deal.
Notable transactions in which Robert has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Managed patent litigation for a large multinational financial services entity in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Managed copyright litigation for UBS in the Southern District of New York.
- Sale of various NYSE Technologies business divisions.
- Initial Public Offering of Euronext (European stock exchanges which includes Brussels, Amsterdam, Paris and Lisbon).
- Sale of NYSE Euronext (NYX) to Intercontinental Exchange (ICE).
- Acquisition of numerous technology and financial companies by NYSE Euronext, Inc..
- Acquisition of ABN AMRO’s global futures and options business (cross border USA/Netherlands).
- Acquisition and then subsequent divestiture of Banco Pactual (cross border USA/Brazil).
- Acquisition of Piper Jaffray(USA) asset management business.
- Acquisition of McDonald’s Investments (USA) asset management business.
- Creation and subsequent closure of the Dillion Read Capital Management hedge fund.
- Represented Alcatel in trade secret litigation in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Represented a window blind manufacturer in patent litigation in the Northern District of New York.
- Represented a large multinational media firm in the acquisition of various media assets.
- Author, “How IP Issues are Becoming More Important to Listed Companies,” Intellectual Asset Management Magazine (January 1, 2013)
- Author, “Patent Quality Enhancement in the Information-Based Economy,” House of Representatives via the Government Printing Office (April 5, 2006)